View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
Steven Lim

I agree with what Kpk said.

You should read up on the hobby. There is just too much information to tell you in forum here. Marine tanks are also more difficult than fresh water tanks.

You have to read up on cycling of tanks (Check aroboy's web links)
You have to worry about water parameters pH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Copper, temperature, chlorine, chloroamine etc.

There are also other things to consider e.g compatibility of fish, type of lights to use, Aquascaping, the kind of filter suitable, planted or not planted, chiller, denitrator, carbon dioxide, different waters for different fish, illness.

You can check all this info from the internet.

Tanks' cost is subjective. Do you want it with iron stands, cabinets or what? Arcylic or glass, how thick? Shape of tank? Size of tank? 4 feet to 6 feet or you want custom made? Material? Cost varies by a big range. It would be good for you to check out the farms and LFS before deciding.

As to basic needs, you need
a filter (most likely cannister for such a big tank),
Lights would make your tank look good (different kind of lights for different kind of setup),
Air pump,
chiller may be needed for marine,

The rest like pH meter, thermometer, magnet algare cleaner, would be good to have.

I am doing fresh water tank so that is the maximum I can tell you. Maybe some brothers here can tell you more or tell you something additional.