View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #65
Tay
Dragon

Finally John & bro Shermie mentioned abt treating of choramines resulting ammonia as by product. Most do not understand that ammonia the by product is the most lethal & not chlorine. Getting rid of chlorine is the most most basic of ac. Some ac bind the ammonia but AST claimed it rid ammonia. Those ac that bind ammonia will expect ur filtration sys to clear them out asap b4 they cos harm to ur fishes (which I think is calculated risk) & ph will be stable which most pple think ac that does not fluctuate ph is v gd ac which I personally think other wise.

Let us go back to basic. PH will typically decline with time as nitrification consumes the alkalinity (usually as bicarbonate) & release hydrogen ions into the water. Hydrogen ions causes the PH to drop & loss of alkalinity. Based on this, I suspected that AST in the process of getting rid of ammonia rather then binding them, the PH drop. The scientist that invented AST cfm was so and thats was why buffering agents was added in AST to boost alkalinity. In fact, those high tech intensive food fish farming uses ClorAm-X the main ingrident of AST to control ammonia rather then treating tap water cos they don use tap water. BTW, there r more than only chlorine & chloramines in our tap water.

Based on the above, that is y I said those that do little wc, regardless of wat ac they uses, usually no issue unless their filtration sucks. Those that do 50% or more must be a bit more careful. Only those that do huge wc will kn wat ac is really gd.

We shld not only take ac into consideration if anything happen after wc, like death. The health of fishes, wat type (sensitivity) of fishes, scale or scaless, etc.. Trust me, there r many factors that can cause death. The best part is, whenever I interview hobbyists, they will always said their fishes in great health regardless of appetite, which means each individual perceptions of wat is healthy fish r diff same as wat is gd water. The bottom line is, most do not spent time to read, study & observe but expect the pdt they buy to do miracles.

Last edited by Tay; 03-01-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote