View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #5
wllm33
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun View Post
Hello,

Marine salt contains buffers as well as several trace elements that mimics actual reef waters, which is essential for the well-being of marine fish.

Table salt usually contains iodine or other caking agent to prevent the salt from caking due to humidity. These other additives are usually toxic to fishes in high concentrations.

Aquarium salt does not contain the additives found in table salt.

Bumblebee grouper can survive in freshwater, but they will not last as long as those that are kept in a marine environment. Juvenile bumblebee grouper will travel to estuaries containing brackish water to look for prey as they are more adaptable than adults, and they mostly return to the ocean when they are larger.

In order for the fish to truly thrive, I would suggest a LARGE marine environment for these creatures, as they do get humongous. I guess most hobbyist purchase them due to their "exotic" factor of having a saltwater fish living in a freshwater environment, and expect them to fully thrive in freshwater, resulting in pre-matured deaths of juveniles. The same applies for trevallies and morray eels. These freshwater "converted" fishes would inhabit estuaries or even rivers when they are younger, but they will eventually migrate back to the ocean when they are older.

They do survive in freshwater when they are younger but they require more and more salt as they get older. Maybe their lifespan would be prolonged if the freshwater's pH is about 8.0 - 8.5, just maybe.

Hope that answers some of your queries.

Cheers!
Hutt Shun
hi,
thnks for clear explanation.
seen a few youtube videos of bumble bee grouper sizes quite large in a 3-4 ft tank and owner seems to suggest they are in freshwater environment even though quite big as per aquarium tank size expectations. So likely possible conversion to freshwater in my simple reading.
Think my concern is when first bght from lfs how to stabilise the juv to survive as got conflicting inputs from diff lfs owners as to how to house them at home, so really appreciate if anybody can advise on the way like what we do with difficult fishes like altums to condition them.

Anyway this thread in same forum here suggest that TS is keeping his quite big bb grouper in freshwater and very alive
http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539119
probably he is highly skilled sifu in this fish
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote