Thread: T5 lightings
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #52
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aropal View Post
This is a lumens value. This is not lumens per square metre.
It is immaterial what distribution you spread the light over when comparing the light output in total in lumens.

You have confused lumen and lux. Perhaps this site will allow you to understand the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

Incidentally I was attempting to demonstrate the fact that that technology has moved on a great deal since the data on which you have based you argument namely 55 lumens for 3 watts.

Indeed, you can rest assured that this small scale reseller pushing these things out for as little as 25 GBP a time is selling what is a long way from ‘state of the art’.
If you are talking about aquarium lighting, I dont see why light distribution shouldnt be taken into consideration.

Whats the point of having 135 lumens when it can only deliver that value on a small spot?

I did mentioned before brightness is affected by the voltage and reflector design. 55lumens is the rating given for a 3V forward voltage for a max 4V LED.

There is no point for a 1000 lumens fixture when the area covered is only 1cmx1cm? All along I'm trying to say that narrow beam LEDs are bright and wide beam LEDs are dim .. so simple

My view is very clear, by today's technology, there is no way 1watt LED can produce 170 lumens period.