View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
bugaloo
Arofanatic

Default Overdue pregnant leopoldi stopped eating

So this is my Leos 4th pregnancy. The first time she aborted her pups early,the second time she had 2 bd/leos,3rd time was one leo/hen and this time she is pregnant with leo/hen pups again. She is over 120 days now and has stopped eating for over a week. Tried all her favorite foods and even went back to trying dew worms with no success. I know that they sometimes stop eating before they give birth but I have never had a pregnant female stop eating for more then just a day or 2. Now this has been over a week. I still see the pups moving but I am getting worried the female or pups may die and I will lose the female. She isn't very active and just sits still breathing heavy. She has been with me for 4 yrs now with no health problems.

I have never moved a prenant female before for pregnancy but I thought I would try this time as I have lost a couple pups from other adults in the tank biting them. I am wondering if the stress from the male trying to breed with them again is what forces them to give birth? Now that she doesn't have that stress of the male could that be the reason why I am running into problems?

She was moved before the 90 day mark to a 230 gallon tank by herself so the pups wouldn't be injured by the other adults in the big tank. She was eating lots and good for 3 weeks and now for over a week she has stopped eating. I tried doing more water changes and added more air stones to the tank as she likes to float on the bubbles. I believe the bubbles helps relieve the pregnancy pain as all my pregnant females float on the bubbles later in their pregnancy.

Any suggestions on what's going on...Any suggestions on what I could do? I just added a 8" black diamond male pup to her tank last night to see if that would help her.
bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote