View Single Post
Old 28-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
CharlieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kian_john View Post
but if the parent both are HM and the out come if haven reach a HM we call it SDs?are you trying to say that 804 HM are SDs?==> http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329466 ? mind explain?
For some reason, I knew this question would be asked.

To state this up front, I wrote this without reference to any thread. I wrote it even before I opened your referenced thread. My purpose is to share with everyone, especially new hobbyists, what a HM should be. The definition is used for mature fish, not really for young fish.

For young fish, I would not term them HMs if they cannot satisfy the definition I gave. However, it does not mean that they cannot become HMs at some point in the future. Even for some young fish, they can already satisfy that definition.

HM is not controlled by a single gene, thus a spawn of HM parents will give you a higher percentage of HMs, but not all offspring will become HMs. If they mature into HMs, then well and fine. But if they do not, then you can call them anything but HMs.

For experienced hobbyists, they will definitely yield greater number of HMs because they are able to groom the young fish well. For less experienced, even if the young fish is HM, when older these may not be HMs.

That's why HMs are so challenging. Hope this helps.