View Single Post
Old 13-02-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
johnny_fantics

Allow me to contribute a few Emergency + Intermediate FAQ.
(Correct me if i made any wrong points, Quite free now btw

Crystal Red Shrimp Emergency FAQ

1. What should i do if CRS death appears?

If dead CRS is found in the tank, immediately remove the dead shrimp from the tank and check on the shrimp for signs of injury. If no physical injury is determine, check the other shrimps for stress syndrome visually to identify root of problem. There is chances the shrimp had reached it's long journey and make peace from the world or, it is cause by changes in water parameters.

2. What are the sign of stress in CRS?

CRS shows sign of stress usually when they are in bad water conditions like moderate to high ammonia, very high and unstable water movement in tank/bags, extreme high/low pH/temperature. The stress can be determine by the fade in colors (e.g. red to transparent pink), highly agitated movement of CRS in tank( when u add something) and lastly, sign of lethargic ness in the shrimps (shrimp stay at same position for a day long).
Note: Female CRS will show sign of stress when being chase by a large number of males. Male CRS will be highly agitated when they are in the mating mode. Sometime sign of lethargic ness maybe due to pregnancy / when the shrimp is about to shed the skin or they have already sheded.

3. What are the immediate treatment for my CRS when death/stress occurs.

If CRS die one after another, it is highly recommended for you to check the water parameters first before transferring the shrimps to other places. Before you proceed to check your tank, remove any left over food and planted plants if the plant is planted recently.

Checking water parameters
1) Check your water temperature. Is it higher then 29 degree??
[if answer is yes, try lower it. If no, proceed to 2)]

2) Check your pH, is it in recommended range?
[if answer is higher then, try add in ketapang leave juice first to control the situation. Other chemical made ph solution is not recommended. If answer is lower then, add in some tap water to increase it back. Sg tap water is ph 7.6. Else, proceed to 3)]

3) Check for ammonia. Is it at high level?
[if answer is yes, dilute your tank water with 1/5 tap water and see if improvement is made on the shrimps or not. if answer is still no, proceed to 4)]

4) Check for Gh. Is it at high level?
[if answer is yes, make sure you check the Gh level in the recommend range guide. If higher then range level, dilute the water. (Gh increases with some chemical input. SG tap is at 1 GH. If Still no...go to 5)]

5) Check tank physically for any missing equipment or spoiled equipment like Filtering system not running, air pump not pumping oxygen, worst case is you find a dead cockroach that you just killed with insecticide.
[if answer yes, remedy the problem, if answer is still 'NO', proceed to transfer guide.]

Transfer guide.

This is worst case scenarios. Something is wrong with your water and you can't determine it. Sickness in shrimp or water problem and you will need to transfer them.

1) Use back up age water. I always have a small bucket of age water with ADA soil back up in my room for such cases (for water changes too). Cool the pail and transfer the shrimps. Make sure the pH in tank and bucket almost the same.

2) If no back up is available, no worry, prep a small bucket (as small as possible for small numbers), filled it 4/5 with tap and 1/5 directly from filter/canister. Add in minimal chloride remover and add in bact solutions. (Ask friendly LFS uncle for good brands). If you have ada soil, wash a bit and slowly add it in. Else If you have Shikaru shrimp food, drop about 5-10 piece in to lower the ph. Cool bucket, pump the bucket with air for an 1hr. Critical part here is to lower the ph and try not to use back the tank water. Shikaru shrimp food is an expensive brand but is very useful for lowering ph incase you didn't notice. 1hr to let the food/soil to slowly adjust the water ph. Wash filter thoroughly and add in to the bucket. Now transfer the shrimp over.

3) If you do not have any of the above mention right equipment, i will suggest you get the age water directly from any shrimp keeper in this forum. But you will need to prepare a big plastic bag and a bucket to aid you in carrying the staff. More friends the merrier! Can trade for genes too.

-If death stop in the bucket after a day or more, there is some problem with your tank. What to do is up to your imagination.

-Else, if death still occur, there is chances you are late as the shrimp have already reach critical stages. Or, something wrong with the bucket method..

Note: The bucket method is use through my experience with my early batch of CRS when i turn the entire tank because of pH crash while using ph lowing solution. It contain high metal...

I seriously encourage solution 3). Fastest and safest method.