View Single Post
Old 23-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #67
Kingfisher

Default Just Sharing my Fish List

The rational behind the set up is this:
The wool is the first line of defense for solid waste, especially if you are keeping protein eating monsterfishes, they WILL poo out a lot of solid stuff, so the easiest way to deal with the really big pieces is to take them out. Thus it is important to always check your sump to see if the wool is overloaded as that will lead to choking and overflowing of your sump. For my set up it’s been 2 years plus so my feeding, filtration and water cycle is already settle down, so I know that removing and changing the wool weekly is sufficient. So you have to work out your routine and cycle. The semi dry and wet bacteria tube is the next stage in the 1st chamber to cultivate heavy duty bacteria that chomp down on solid waste, I call this the mother ship of the bacteria, from there they will go forth and inhabit the rest of the sump. You will realize that over the next few chamber from first to third, there are a lot of utilization of green filter mat packed tightly together. What I hope to achieve here is to further allow for smaller and micro solid waste to be trapped and digested by the bacteria here. I also uses the top part of the next two chamber for coral chip and also the compressed KTP leaves pallet (which actually act like black water but slower releases), these are components that you’ll have to do by trial and error to balance the PH to the level you want it to be, so there will be a lot of adding and removal of either the coral chip (PH up) or the KTP pallets (PH down). The 4th Chamber is strictly for the bacteria to work on the micro scale, here I hope to cultivate the kind of bacteria that really gets down to non solid waste, like ammonia, nitrate etc. I am just imagining that it would. The last Chamber is where the first round of water purification is done, but like a cow’s stomach, I have a second round that is taken into the 2 canister filter full of only Biohome Plus like the 4th chamber to further clam down on the non solid waste, cool down the water then subject it to UV bombardment for taking out the bad disease causing stuff and also algae control… hope all these is making sense and I very often think that I am just fantasizing that at least that’s how it’s working. I also use the last chamber for fine tuning of my tank’s PH, adding or removal of coral chip bags only.
So what are the important things to remember for me?
Two things actually, one is to set up your system that is right and easy for you to access and do maintenance and water change. The easier it is, the more often you’ll do it.
The second is to get your routine, feeding and water cycle right. So it becomes second nature to you.