View Single Post
Old 22-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #43
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
basically the difference is the amount of UV...sunlight has ample amount of it...but with a shorter span of time to exposure, its not quite possible to expect a fast conversion using sunlight

the second thing is about the UVB and UVA portion, although technically glass is able to block off the UV, how much of these UV are actually able to block?

The kelvins part is the diff in the intensity of the light stimulation I gathered after trying to use the normal T8 (FL tubes) and compare the different Sunlight tubes (6500k), planted tubes (~7000k), 10k tubes, 12k tubes

in terms of stimulation this is wat I perceives as the contrasting effect, the more the light tends towards the other side of the color spectrum the better is the effects in bringing the melanophores out...hence the deepening of colors

the blockage of UV rays by glass is 95% which is actually a lot .... now I understand there is one school of thought that says arowanas do not need that much penetration and even if it is blocked 95%, the 5% is still adequate for the tan .... this will however, contrast sharply with the view that natural sunlight is inadequate for the tanning process ...

regarding the kelvins, my understanding is that it is SI unit of measurement of heat while tanning is the penetration of UVA and UVB wavelengths ... an example is say, we're in a sauna ... well, its damn hot, but we dun get tanned as a result .... i hoped my understanding can be corrected as it may be all wrong