View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Hi Zihao and all,

Yes, I do agree with Vetduck that genetics have alot to do with this syndrome. Environmental factors such as placement of tanks and lights, human traffic and all, woudl be what i call as risk factors.

Just like obesity, which is usually genetically pre-determined. THe risk factors, therfore would be things like diet and exercise (or the lack of). Hence if one is able to control teh risk factors, then the genetic presentation may not get expressed out.

Besides anatomical feature such as a protruded/inset eye, which is genetically pre-determined of course, the other factor could be a laxity in the muscles that control eyeball movement. This, to me, could also be genetically pre-determined, as it seems to be affecting the silvers more than other aro species.It could also be due to chronic muscular fatigue due to the exposure to the evironmental factors a mentioned above.

About fatty accumulation behind the eyes, I really don't think that is the cause. First of all, in order to have accumulated so much fats to displace the eye, it'll have to take a long time. This will not explain why some of the young fishes are also affected.

Secondly, there's the existing practice by some farms, which trim away these fatty tissues behind the eyeball, so as to re-set the eyball back into the so called proper position. However, from what I can gather after talking to a couple of these farmers, the relapse rate is high.

You see, you need to have fat cells and tissues for you to deposit fats, they don't just ooze out into the open spaces like that. And fat cells, once removed, do not regenerate. Then if this is the case, why would there be a relapse of the droopy eyes once fatty tissues have been removed?

Cheers,

Kenny