View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Sinubux

Time to carry on where I left off.

Tank Setup 2:
Dimension: Standard 2 feet tank
Filtration: Hang-on Filter
Stimulant: Electricity.
Substrate: Coral Chips or any bio filteration substrate; loosely packed in a filter bag or in a mesh.

I guess this setup is pretty standard as the flow rate in and out is ideal for total circulation within the tank. As you can see above, based on the specifications, I have omitted the carbon filtration media is because carbon is only good in the beginning. Once it reaches its threshold, all hell will break loose. The toxins and all the harmful substances that were once being absorbed by this same carbon will be re-introduced back into your water bit by bit, hence cause some casualties to take place. You will also notice that if you left this same carbon inside the water and continue to change water as per normal, you are merely delaying the expiry date of your fishes by only diluting the poison that is slowing and surely being introduced back into the water. Now I shall explain as to why I used coral chips in substitute to any other substrate that is available. As your tank begins to mature, the bio bacteria count within the tank is either on the rise or fall, depending on your feeding, the temperature of the tank and so on. In addition, it is almost a common practice that when a hobbyist make purchases of their guppies, they will surely purchase some plants. As we have been always exposed that hardy plants are ferns or nanas. But where are all these plants being attached to, driftwood. It is these drift wood that not only cause the water to colour but also causes its pH within the water to go hay wire. Hence the coral chips will counter that. Coral chips have quite a long shelf life as in they do not disintegrate easily after prolong use, hence they can be used as good bio bacteria ground for colonization. Hence the point as to why i stick to coral chips.