View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllm33 View Post
mind sharing difference btw marine vs normal salt. Will normal salt definitely cannot be used?
If so, using marine salt , will need hygrometer to have exact salt conc same as marine fishes to keep the fish alive for long?

also what about hardness and ph ( I measured the ph water came with the fish is 6.8 from lfs). Is this just temporary for the fish and it will not survive for long.
mine lasted 3 days

If not mistaken, seen a thread here, and TS says his bumberbee is now fully converted to fresh water and thriving. So possible to live long with full conversion>
Thanks for advice
Hello,

Marine salt contains buffers as well as several trace elements that mimics actual reef waters, which is essential for the well-being of marine fish.

Table salt usually contains iodine or other caking agent to prevent the salt from caking due to humidity. These other additives are usually toxic to fishes in high concentrations.

Aquarium salt does not contain the additives found in table salt.

Bumblebee grouper can survive in freshwater, but they will not last as long as those that are kept in a marine environment. Juvenile bumblebee grouper will travel to estuaries containing brackish water to look for prey as they are more adaptable than adults, and they mostly return to the ocean when they are larger.

In order for the fish to truly thrive, I would suggest a LARGE marine environment for these creatures, as they do get humongous. I guess most hobbyist purchase them due to their "exotic" factor of having a saltwater fish living in a freshwater environment, and expect them to fully thrive in freshwater, resulting in pre-matured deaths of juveniles. The same applies for trevallies and morray eels. These freshwater "converted" fishes would inhabit estuaries or even rivers when they are younger, but they will eventually migrate back to the ocean when they are older.

They do survive in freshwater when they are younger but they require more and more salt as they get older. Maybe their lifespan would be prolonged if the freshwater's pH is about 8.0 - 8.5, just maybe.

Hope that answers some of your queries.

Cheers!
Hutt Shun
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote