View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllm33 View Post
assuming that what the lfs is selling hybrids, will be safe to say that they can survive in full fresh water, as shown by this mentioned thread and all those youtube videos showing them very alive but no so big and in fresh water as claimed in the description
or we will really need to adjust them back to salt water and use same , hygrometer to measure salinity like marine fishes if we were to want to keep them alive for long time in the aquarium but not hope to grow them too big?
thnks for advice.
Nah I wouldn't say that they can survive fully in freshwater, although they might be able to better withstand the fluctuations in salinity when they are younger. We don't know what goes on behind the Youtube videos, they might claim the groupers to be in full freshwater, but who knows they have added some marine salt.

Better to standby a bag of marine salt and a hydrometer to monitor the desired salinity for them to thrive, as they are ultimately saltwater fish.

I wouldn't suggest getting a grouper if the intention of keeping the fish is to hope that they don't grow so big. Also, I would expect the hybrid groupers to have a faster growth rate as compared to the bumblebee grouper.
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote