View Single Post
Old 14-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Slash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcisreP
my goodness... those are Escargots, better known as Garden Snails.. If u think Apple Snails are the ones that are served in restaurants. i don think u will see tons of apple snails in our reservoirs.. they will all be harvested and makaned or sold!!.. hHAHAHa... big Joke man...
hey before you ridicule that bro further for providing us with interesting information. The following was taken from www.applesnail.net:

"In the 1980's, the genus Pomacea (like Pomacea canaliculata) was introduced in Taiwan to start an escargot industry. Such food culture can provided protein for the local population, especially useful for the farmers, who primary live on a rice diet, low in proteins. However, the snails didn't become a culinary success. It also became quickly clear that the imported species were able to transfer the Angiostrongylus cantonensis (rat lungworm) parasite just like the native apple snail population (Pila). This parasite spends a part of its life cycle in apple snails and can infect humans when the snail isn't cooked long enough before consumption. Instead of becoming a food source they escaped, and became a serious pest, posing a real threat to the rice production and the environment. During the 1980's the introduced snails rapidly spread to Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Hong Kong, southern China, Japan and the Philippines and there are indications that they are currently invading Australia. Nevertheless, apple snails are considered a delicacy in several regions and they are often sold in Oriental markets for consumption."

Well, so as you can see, apple snails are eaten as escargot too. I'm personally not too sure, but i think "escargot" is a culinary dish(judging from how www.applesnail.net used that word), and not a species of snail as you think they are. You said "those are Escargots, better known as Garden Snails..", which implies that you think escargot is a species. Hope this helps clear the confusion. no hard feelings yea?