View Single Post
Old 20-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #8
marshy

Senior Moderator

Default Some experiences in Tiger Community Tank

Ok... here are some of my experiences in my Tiger community.
I have 12 Tigers in total in my 6 footer tank.
Current sizes range from 3 inches to 15 inches.

Sizing:
Tigers tend to find trouble with their own sizes. They usually are not bothered about smaller sized tigers and they seem to know small tigers are of their own kind and don't try to eat them. However, when smaller tigers starts to catch up in size to bigger ones, the big guys will notice it and start to chase the slightly smaller ones.

Fights:
As mentioned, usually amongst similar sized specimens. Tend to be peaceful amongst tigers of great size difference. Even when fights do occur, the worst case of injury will be torn fins and some scale drop. I have yet to encounter (or even heard of) tigers fighting to the death. Do take note that when tigers get hungry, they tend to be more grumpy and will pick on anyone around them. Size don't matter. But no worries of smaller tigers getting eaten because of hunger.

Sub-species personalities:
NGTs tend to be loners and will usually look for little corners of if you have driftwood, find a hole and declare it their teritory. They will guard their "hole" strongly and chase away anyone (big or small) that ventures close to their hole.

NTTs and ITs are also loners. But they are not territorial. They dun find their own spots but tend to mind their own buisiness in any space they can find.

ATs are very cute. They (or at least mine) like to find shelter amongst leaves (in my case Nana Plant). Usually if I can't find my AT, I have to search amongst the Big Nana leaves. He will be hiding in there.

STs are the ones who usually pick fights amongst themselves. For fun or what I have no idea. They do it when hungry or full. Many a times I thought after a heavy feed everybody would just relax in a corner with a full belly. But many occasion they start to have fights to see who's the "stronger" one. Sort of like humans playing chicken with a car and seeing who will back off first.

Tank water parameters:
Tigers in genral are very hardy creatures. Especially when they get larger in size. Many people have reported of small tigers having the "sudden death syndrome (SDD)". I have had my fair share of these encounters in my short 2 years of tiger keeping. But somehow, after the size of 4 inch, its usually quite safe that this SDD won't happen. Water should prefably be neutral to slightly alkaline (PH 7 ~ 7.8). Salt is not a must have. However I suggest to have at least 0.5% salt level for young NTTs and slowly acclimatise the small NTTs to pure FW as they get bigger (around 4 inches).

Food:
All sorts of live feeders to meal worms and super worms. Market prawns are the best in terms of nutritient and cost value. Pellets too (if you are really lucky)

Disclaimer: The above writings are purely base on my experience with a Tiger community. I do not claim any of the above information as the bible to tiger keeping.

Cheers and happy tiger keeping to one and all.