Thread: PNT Shrine
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Gus
Dragon

Part 2: Housing a PNT
A Pnt unlike a terrapin doesn;t require any land spot. You can put it into a tank full of water 24/7. However a pnt still requires to come up to breath occassionally.
To house a Pnt, personally I wld recommend 1 pnt in a 3' tank. Reason being, if you're thinkin of keepin the pet for long term, u can put all ur attention into takin care of just tad one pnt and controllin of the bioload of the water will be much more easier, not to mention the amt of money u can save in buyin food. Like any other pets, pple like to keep a pair or more. There are cases of successful pnt keep together and there are fail cases too. So its a gamble one has to take. Still a 3' tank wld be good to start off with. And cld last quite some time too, as pnt grows quite slow. The decor in tank is really up to personal preference. However avoid sharp stones as these cld injured or damage the bottom carapace. Sand is ok dun worry that it will get into its mouth, nose or eyes. In fact, i've seen pnt dig into these sand and hide in it leavin oni their nose up. And the sand cld leave the shell too. oh yah aquatics plants wld not be tad good coz pnt are omnivorous, they can actually eat up the plants tad you put in for decor. Thus wadever type of decor u put in do remember to clean them first and oso the more decor the more maintanence is needed.

Part 3: Sick PNT
PNT are usually quite hardy and seldom kanna any illness. When it does, in most of the time it is due to poor water condition.
For this part i shall disucss more of the common illness
A) Cloudy eyes.
Pnt do get cloudy eyes just like fishes. Normally no medication is required. Just change your water ard 15-20%. add some salt can be up to 0.5-0.7% of the water volume and increase the temp to 28-30 degree. The cloudy eyes shld be able to go away in a few days.
B) Skin fungus
For skin fungus, use a soft cloth to wipe off whichever part tad the fungus is growing. Remember a soft cloth and not a brush or those sponge use for washing plate. Reason being, the fungus cld have already cause a hole in the shell and if you didn't notice it, u cld actually cause more harm to it. so a soft cloth wld be fine. and remember, wet the cloth. Using a little bit of warm water is ok. i mean warm and not hot water to wet the cloth. as warm water cld oso kill off the fungus on the shell. After wiping the fungus on the shell, you could bask the pnt in the sun to eliminate any remainin fungus or bacteria.

-How to bask the pnt properly in the sun?
Find a container big enuff to house the pnt. Fill it with water untill it reaches the side the the shell or u cld fill the water untill it jus cover the shell oso can.
Put the pnt under indirect sunlight best is not to put it durin noon. I find the time of 10am -11am or 4am- 5am a good timin to bask pnt. Leave it there for a while cld be 15 mins or 30 mins but do check on it frequently to make sure the pnt is feelin ok. after the basking do not put the pnt immd back into the main tank. leave it at a side for a while at least min 5min to let the pnt temp adjust back to the same as the rm tank, den afterwards put it back to the main tank. U cld do this baskin for a few days untill the pnt is completely heal. Normally if you have a uv lightin. for ur pnt tank such baskin is not really required.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote