View Single Post
Old 22-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
eugenel

in case some newbies are asking, i'm going to post my experiences so far

betta spa doesn't seem to spoilt the water after awhile, but i'm not doing 30% weekly, i'm doing about 50%

as for filters, i would recommend a filter with adjustable flowrates/etc, as it took some time for my betta to get used to the constant flow.
adjustable cause when i on the flow at full, mine wasn't able to swim properly.
a sponge filter and a valve to limit bubbles is what i used

also i kept my betta with other fishes and have noticed a few things

1) my betta was a serious pig, during feedings i had to separate him as he will eat to the point of constipation

2) fishes that prefer sinking foods might seem like a good idea but i've ran into 2 problems. firstly, sinking foods take some time to sink, so just luring the fish to the top isn't enough. and secondly for some reason, my serpae tetra doesn't dig around the gravel for food, but my betta does it very diligently so i need to clear them

3) although serpae tetras are known to nib fins, they seem to respect size, they will fight amongst themselves but always avoid my betta

4) serpae tetras will vomit food when they are too full, making it a ***** when you are trying to treat your betta for constipation

5) my betta doesn't chase/attack the serpae tetras only initially, and i've also noticed he has never flared at them. so maybe just a simple flare test would be enough
eugenel is offline   Reply With Quote