View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #172
shermie
Senior Dragon

Hi Qian Hu,

i was browsing through your hydra FAQ and noted that "Nitrates are then reduced by Hydroxyl Radicals to produce Nitrogen gas and escapes from the water". But since hydroxyl radicals have higher affinity for NH3/NH4+/NO2 as compared to NO3, how effective would a hydra stream be if my main goal is to reduce nitrates?

Eg my matured tanks have undetectable TAN and nitrites, but i have issues with keeping nitrates below 100ppm. my aim is to use a hydra stream for the return piping from water that has already passed through sump to tank, to reduce the nitrates to nitrogen. Technically since there is undetectable NH3/NH4+/NO2, the hydroxyl radicals would be more effective in reducing nitrates?

Do u have any data regarding how much nitrates would be reduced? Eg if my tank has 80-100ppm nitrates, and i'm doing WC every 2-3 days to keep it within that range, and i add in a hydra stream while maintaining my WC routine, would my nitrates have a noticeable reduction? i was unable to find any information on this online, and the nearest i could find was :
http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topi...-hydra-stream/
which states "Does not reduce nitrates if already present. Other nutrient export method required ".

Advise would be greatly appreciated.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote