Old 23-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Red203

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkw View Post
Tank Setup 6
Dimension: Standard 2 feet tank
Filtration: Sponge filter
Stimulant: Air pump

Basically this is one of the more popular setups recently and I decided to update this thread. While I don't confess to be a guru like many others here. I would like to attempt to provide whatever information I have learnt from everyone else here so that future hobbyists who pick up guppying will be able to do so without much trouble.

So the main filtration would be an air driven sponge filter that would provide aeration of water and provide mechanical filtration that would not be too strong at the same time. This is one of the safest form I filtration as you do not have to worry about fries or guppy fighting strong currents. At the same time, this form of filtration is cheap and easier to maintain. Although same as most other setups, you first fill the tank with tap water treated with ac that can remove both chlorine and chloramines while at the same time not release toxic ammonia into the tank. Note that some ac breaks up the ammonia from the chloramines but do not treat the ammonia at all, just leaving the ammonia in the tank. This ammonia would most likely have negative repercussions on your guppies. Choice to age the water is optional. Ensure that water change or top up is done with treated water and has the same ph as the water currently in your tank. If tank is not fully established, as mentioned above, feeding too much can possibly cause ph/ammonia spike which would also not be good for your guppies. There are many different water change routines and you might like to find one to your liking. Due to the economic nature of such a setup, it is one of the more common choices of hobbyists here as they can cater to more tanks.

That's about all. And I apologize if I share any inaccurate information. Hope if there's any mistake, don't persecute me for it. But rather correct them such that everyone can benefit. Cheers to all. Happy guppying.
Bro, I use the same setup, one question is that when we dose salt when guppies have some illness, will the salt kill all the BB in the foam filter?
how about with medication like Melafix, Metafix etc.. TIA