View Single Post
Old 22-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #50
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
I extracted this script from one webbie:

The light spectrum describes the combination of colors of which the light consists of. Namely red, yellow, green and blue (rainbow colors). These spectrums are measured as "color temperature" - Kelvin (K).
Red and yellow produce lower temperatures while blue light produces a higher temperature. Lower and higher defined as the basic sunlight with 5500 K.

The Color Rendering Index (CRI) is indexed on a scale from 0 – 100.

100 being the equivalent to sunlight and how objects would naturally appear. CRI is an expression of the degree to which the illuminated objects appear according to their true natural color.

The intensity of light is given as Lux or lumen. This is very essential, because a light source moved only 2 inches away from the water will be 4 times less intensive. So even if the light source is correct, it might also still be insufficient, depending on the distance to the area to be illuminated.

Some general facts about lighting:

Too much red light in combination with high nutrients will stimulate algae growth. In this case we are talking about 4000 K.

Always adjust the lighting to the natural habitat of your fish. Too much light will not blind, or fry them, but they may hide out.

Dust humidity, water turbidity and dirty vinyl or glass covers will influence the light as well.

Intense lighting in combination with high nutrients will enhance algae growth. Combined with silicates the result will be brownish algae. Combined with phosphates the result is more red and greenish algae.

You should adjust your aquarium lighting to meet the needs of your set-up and inhabitants. There are always possibilities and creative ways to shade some areas with overhangs.
Light is a catalyst. With intense lighting the need for nutrient control is increased to avoid algae problems.

this article just describes abt lighting and kelvins being temperature ... sorry can pls tell me the relation between this and tanning ??