Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 30-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
cooldragon76
Dragon

Default Red Aro DE & PLJ issue

Currently hv an xback at home, but am always very wanted to keep a red aro since juv... but worry, as from wat i know (pls correct me if im wrong) red aro is more possible to have drop eyes and plj.. and i see some red aro pic on the internet, the drop eye and plj is quite serious which i don really like...

For all the experience bro here, is that possible to have any technique to prevent drop eye and plj (even some say that is the red genes that cause it) if we rear red aro since juv?

Thanks for advise..
cooldragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
revolution21
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldragon76 View Post
Currently hv an xback at home, but am always very wanted to keep a red aro since juv... but worry, as from wat i know (pls correct me if im wrong) red aro is more possible to have drop eyes and plj.. and i see some red aro pic on the internet, the drop eye and plj is quite serious which i don really like...

For all the experience bro here, is that possible to have any technique to prevent drop eye and plj (even some say that is the red genes that cause it) if we rear red aro since juv?

Thanks for advise..
Bro, there is no prevention on PLJ, as for DE some ppl say put pingpong n I tried but still DE, best is put pond. Choosing Aro from Juv is like lucky draw. If you kena the top price, lucky for you. Try choose aro mouth with scissor/perfect bite may have better chance for not plj... cheers
revolution21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
longyi
Endangered Dragon

You like to keep red but don't wish to see DE or PLJ. These defect can't be detected from juvenile red and it goes on base on their gene. There are some people out there who will buy an adult big red with no such defect.
longyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
washywashy
Dragon

Not only red lah.. Any type of aro also same. All dependent on genes
washywashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
ywmike
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldragon76 View Post

Thanks for advise..
please take some times to read through the forum. I believe this question has been raise up many many times.
ywmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
cooldragon76
Dragon

I understand for the genes issue.. abit drop or abit plj is ok.. just i browse the pic, some drop eye and plj is really quite bad... so thinking whether tat can be prevented...
Old 30-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
mediacraze
Dragon

If abit DE or PLJ is alright for you, I guess you don't really need to worry.

Many of those very serious DE or PLJ you seen is due to improper grooming and not monitoring the Aro behaviour.

To have a Ang Ang SR, is not just about pump with lots of food and wack tanning like no tomorrow. Got to monitor along the way. Something which I am still learning. Simple logic by looking at the competition Champion Red/XB, do you see any champion Red/XB that will be fat like a SUMO. Answer is no

More importantly, for Red Aro the color is most critical. No point finding a perfect finnage, perfect mouth shape, perfect eye view, but color like lemon/ orange no matter how you tan it.
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
cooldragon76
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post
If abit DE or PLJ is alright for you, I guess you don't really need to worry.

Many of those very serious DE or PLJ you seen is due to improper grooming and not monitoring the Aro behaviour.

To have a Ang Ang SR, is not just about pump with lots of food and wack tanning like no tomorrow. Got to monitor along the way. Something which I am still learning. Simple logic by looking at the competition Champion Red/XB, do you see any champion Red/XB that will be fat like a SUMO. Answer is no

More importantly, for Red Aro the color is most critical. No point finding a perfect finnage, perfect mouth shape, perfect eye view, but color like lemon/ orange no matter how you tan it.
Thanks bro...
Old 30-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
chocolate
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post

I love this sentence
chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
cheogin
Arofanatic

Hi,

I am just a beginer and no way an aro expert, but here is my 2 cents. My way is purely logical deduction and have no idea if it really works as my aro is only 8 months old(got him at 3 months)...so not having DE could be genetics or the methods works.

My reasoning goes like this

Why do aro look down?
1) All the activity is below him
2) Food is below him
3) lights too bright
4) predator is at bottom

Why do aro look up?
1) Food comes from top
2) activity is at top (birds, insects, etc)
3) friends/enemy is at his side
4) Light is from bottom (reflective bottom)

Comments from others that have fish with no DE
1) Keep in pond
2) comm tank
3) ping pong ball
4) etc etc

You should see the connection between the comments and the Whys by now.
So if you have more why they look down, then guess DE chance is higher.

My rectification is to minimize why aro look down..simple right.
1) All the activity is below him

- I make sure i have tank mate swimming at same level as the aro, those top skimmer fishes (i use archers)
- I also place several small mirrors at the top, my version of ping pong ball, this way not only he can see the bottom without looking down, he will also see the enemy of himself.

2) Food is below him

I make sure that aro has to reach for food, i make sure he has to reach out of water to get it. ( i dangle the prawn or hold the frog leg) -sometimes he use torpedo attk, scare the shit out of me.

3) lights too bright

this is still a prob for me, but since i have white base....maybe look up or down wont make must difference.

4) predator is at bottom

If you know there is someone that can bite you, sure 24hrs you keep your eye on that thing. So no other fierce fish allowed, unless they swim same level like aro comm.

How you guys like my layman deduction haha. Most prob wont work as some sifus can tell you, but i guess no harm trying.
If my aro get DE in these few months, i come back delete this post hahaha.
cheogin is offline   Reply With Quote