Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Adv

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
moscowblue
Endangered Dragon
 
moscowblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 10,310
Rep Power: 8
moscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputationmoscowblue has Max Reputation
Reputation: 5027
Default

Geez, hopefully you can succeed with time
moscowblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
TaNgS_RuLe
Dragon
 
TaNgS_RuLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 776
Rep Power: 5
TaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the community
Reputation: 699
Default

Thanks for sharing!

Alot of show quality pieces in there, the dark background really brings out their colour. Love your setups, very natural looking, slightly concerned about setup 2 though, as the rocks look quite sharp and fronts to tend to dash around sometimes when spooked and this might cause injuries,

I noticed you put them with lepidios, how do they get along? I recently had to put 2 lepidios (coz my lobochilotes was killing them in another tank) in with the mobas they seem to be doing fine for now, but not sure how they will fare in the long run.

Managed to breed my mobas but with very little success (i.e. a few small batches). So far never managed to strip early and tumble, eggs always died even when I stripped early even if I used very expensive tumblers (not sure if its just how I do it). My batches that survive are from females that have held around 10 days such that when I strip, the wrigglers have emerged and their survival rate is quite decent when I tumble. I currently run a chiller on my tank (at 25.5 degrees) and I believe it helps with the spawning.
TaNgS_RuLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #13
ectan
Arofanatic
 
ectan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 461
Rep Power: 5
ectan has many friendsectan has many friendsectan has many friends
Reputation: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowblue View Post
Geez, hopefully you can succeed with time
Thank you for your encouragement !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaNgS_RuLe View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Alot of show quality pieces in there, the dark background really brings out their colour. Love your setups, very natural looking, slightly concerned about setup 2 though, as the rocks look quite sharp and fronts to tend to dash around sometimes when spooked and this might cause injuries,

I noticed you put them with lepidios, how do they get along? I recently had to put 2 lepidios (coz my lobochilotes was killing them in another tank) in with the mobas they seem to be doing fine for now, but not sure how they will fare in the long run.

Managed to breed my mobas but with very little success (i.e. a few small batches). So far never managed to strip early and tumble, eggs always died even when I stripped early even if I used very expensive tumblers (not sure if its just how I do it). My batches that survive are from females that have held around 10 days such that when I strip, the wrigglers have emerged and their survival rate is quite decent when I tumble. I currently run a chiller on my tank (at 25.5 degrees) and I believe it helps with the spawning.
Hi Ken,

Lepidio are great tank mates with Fronts
They never bother the Fronts.

Ya, totally agreed with you on the sharp edged rocks. They are potential hazard ! I think its time to start sourcing for more boulders

Like to know your view wrt the male ratio for a breeding colony.
Which is preferred ? A single male, or 2 males in the group ?

Cheers
ectan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
TaNgS_RuLe
Dragon
 
TaNgS_RuLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 776
Rep Power: 5
TaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the communityTaNgS_RuLe is well received in the community
Reputation: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectan View Post
Hi Ken,

Lepidio are great tank mates with Fronts
They never bother the Fronts.

Ya, totally agreed with you on the sharp edged rocks. They are potential hazard ! I think its time to start sourcing for more boulders

Like to know your view wrt the male ratio for a breeding colony.
Which is preferred ? A single male, or 2 males in the group ?

Cheers
Great, looks like I can leave them in there for a while, right now they are helping to pick up left over food too, haha..

I tried 2 males in a group, both were about 11-12 inch and they were doing well for a long while. When there is no spawning they were rather peaceful. But there was one time when a female started to drop her tube and one of the males killed off the other. When i got home, it was barely alive and its whole body was very badly battered it died shortly after. Since then my group only has 1 male and aggression is very minimal (limited to the male chasing all the other females away when getting ready to spawn)
TaNgS_RuLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
wildbear
Arofanatic
 
wildbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 408
Rep Power: 2
wildbear has many friendswildbear has many friends
Reputation: 122
Default

Nice fronts! Beautiful stable colour. luv it
Thanks for sharing EC
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #16
ectan
Arofanatic
 
ectan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 461
Rep Power: 5
ectan has many friendsectan has many friendsectan has many friends
Reputation: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear View Post
Nice fronts! Beautiful stable colour. luv it
Thanks for sharing EC
Thank you
ectan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Adv


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)