Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
rumraisin

greetings! thank you all for taking the time to read this thread. thanks to those who approached this 'new' concept with an open mind & to those who brought forth their criticism with & without good cause alike. a better knowledge base takes time to develop and requires participation from all different thoughts without unilateral or arbitrary thinking. that's why i'm so proud to be a member of AF.

okay, i will try to answer every thread that i think is constructive to our discussion & i'll also try not to be overly repetitive about things i've said and things all the bros have said already. i'd appreciated very much however if everyone could read the threads carefully first before making a judgement. a few things i wanna reiterate:

1. very early stage of gill curl (GC) could be cured without OP by just improving water management.
2. poor water condition &/or drastic water conditon changes are prime reasons that cause gill curls, BUT
3. the main focus of this thread is on discussing the possible cure for GC once your aro is afflicted with this symptom.
4. i offer A solution to a problem NOT THE solution. depending on the condition of the GC, different approach MAY be more effective.

a few things i wanna add:

1. the point about adding a powerhead is in essence providing a "massage" to the gills by means of forced water current. this (along w/ corrected water condition) is usually enough to reverse a GC in the very early stage (1st couple of days where only the soft part is affected)
2. i've used the "chasing-&-then-massage" procedure on an 18" aro 3+ weeks into its GC condition where the soft part of the membrane has already turned semi-hard like a cartilage & has also affected the edge of the hard gill plate. at this pt, just using a pwhead or correcting water could not have cured the condition. i had only 2 choices: cutting or massaging. i chose massaging and a couple of months later you couldn't even tell. i strongly believe in this method when all the conditions call for it. if it has gone more into the hard plate or if #1 above could have cured it, then don't use it. it's not like "oh no my aro has GC, lets give it a massage." NONONO - USE YOUR DISCRETION!
3.sorry, can't think of any right now