Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 24-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #31
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Bro, in that case, would it be advisible to drain the water used for new plants, and add in carbon and old sea mud powder?

From this incident, it also set me wondering, dw and rocks sold at lfs are potentially at higher risk since most of them are left along the corridor of lfs, which exposed them to more hazzards.

For large dw, how would you suggest cleaning it of parasite and potential foreign toxins? Large dw are not easy to soak in hot water like small dw.

One man's lost is many others gain. With this topic, it set many of us thinking harder and reducing risk of such innocent mistakes.
Those dw and rock has less risk then plants that are intentionally soak with pesticide, unless health agency has done fumigation in the vincity where the dw and rock are placed.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #32
globalcookie
Dragon

I was just thinking, since the dw and rocks are left outside, it is exposed to many possible polution, including pesticides, dirt from e ground, etc. Good thing I don't have to get any plants, dw or rocks for now.

From this topic, I realised the simple soaking and draining may not be sufficient. Have been lucky so far, but won't take risk when I set up a big tank next time.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #33
ThoughTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallboy View Post
The c328 lfs (further from the coffee shop) placed some of the plants in the tank and will pack it only when you want to buy it. I think for those it shouldn't give problem.
No!!!!! as mentioned, both me and dkk08 bought plants that come from tanks.. and not those packet ones..

just to add, we got our plants from different sources(i dont think its right to say where, no point anw its not their fault), so its not an isolated problem, so all bros please do process your plants before introducing into the tank wherever you got the plants from.

Last edited by ThoughTs; 24-11-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 24-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #34
zchuanru

Why are snails bad for shrimps?

I am thinking of mixing snails with shrimps, what kind of snails are safe?
Old 27-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #35
mel81

i think apple snails are quite safe...
Old 24-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #36
Liangeh

sad to hear that bro..
Old 10-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #37
TheBetta
Dragon

Sad to hear that bro.Move on
TheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #38
ayane

curious to know what type of plants you bought?..
Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #39
Ningning
Dragon

want to add on, what to do when your tank has been poisoned.

not want to paisei wjustin but hope all can learn how to clear away the chemicals.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...highlight=soil
Ningning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #40
Terpsichore

I have had such a bad experience even after reading the warning. Perhaps I did not take it to heart not until when I experienced this catastrophe. I seen numerous of my shrimp swimming excitedly and I suspected something was wrong with it. I tried to narrow down the factors of such cause as nothing happened to my snails. I kept ramshorns and horned nerite snails. After observed for a while, finally I realized that the main cause was that I put those newly bought plants into my tank without "quarantine" them. This was the price I had paid. Right now, I have restarted the keeping of shrimps all over again and so far so good. Just my two cents worth of info.