Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 31-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #111
jwhtan
Barney

If the Malaysians are smart, they shd scrap every single charge.
Encourage Singaporeans to go over and spend all our money there
Singapore is supposed to match
Malaysians dun come to Singapore to shop

Their retail will boom.
Causeway Point koyak
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #112
mictok
Dragon

Every State also got internal politics among them, the decision to collect $ comes from ruling party which Johore Sultant cant over ride.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #113
globalcookie
Dragon

And also good if they expand their custom load so vehicle flow can be faster. That encourage ppl to cross over more frequently.

The higher M'sia charge, e happier Sg gov will be.... higher charge, lesser ppl go in as frequently. Money remains in our economy. Imagine no toll, very high volume and efficient immigration.... waaaaa go in dinner also song.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #114
byfun
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
If the Malaysians are smart, they shd scrap every single charge.
Encourage Singaporeans to go over and spend all our money there
Singapore is supposed to match
Malaysians dun come to Singapore to shop

Their retail will boom.
Causeway Point koyak
Ideally should be that way if Malaysia gov want to make more tourist money and most likely Johor will benefit most. But seem Johor royal family not on very good term with the gov ... so politically another issue.

Even this this resolved, if so many sporeans cross over to spend their dollars in Malaysia, i reckon SG custom will also chu pattern.. they dont need increase toll fee. Just need reduce counter during peak hours.. let the people wait and queue... see who can tahan go JB then.
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #115
globalcookie
Dragon

Tourism creates jobs.... but.... stronger SGD results in Johoreans suffering the most.

Cost of living in M'sia is already much higher than Sg. With even more Singaporeans going over to spend, cost of everything will go up.
Old 31-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #116
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Tourism creates jobs.... but.... stronger SGD results in Johoreans suffering the most.

Cost of living in M'sia is already much higher than Sg. With even more Singaporeans going over to spend, cost of everything will go up.
in the short term, johoreans will suffer due to inflation but when the whole state's economy improve, their income will improve and they will find themselves being in a better position than the other Malaysian states
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #117
byfun
Arofanatic

But food price wise . Johor almost on par with Spore..
My johor friends bought me to a local bak ku teh.. just a normal shop in more suburban area not frequent by Sporeans. Almost all patrons are local.

For 4 person. We have a claypot bkt, claypot soya chicken meat, a small bowl of cai buay (salted veggie). The total cost is $80rm plus .....
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #118
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
in the short term, johoreans will suffer due to inflation but when the whole state's economy improve, their income will improve and they will find themselves being in a better position than the other Malaysian states
Possible. But if we look at the current state, it's really too costly for the locals there. Those that commutes to Sg to work, probably are better of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byfun View Post
But food price wise . Johor almost on par with Spore..
My johor friends bought me to a local bak ku teh.. just a normal shop in more suburban area not frequent by Sporeans. Almost all patrons are local.

For 4 person. We have a claypot bkt, claypot soya chicken meat, a small bowl of cai buay (salted veggie). The total cost is $80rm plus .....
For the same food and number of pax, how much would it be in Sg? I remember paying something like $5-8 for 1 person here in Sg. For 4 pax, that would work out to $20-32? Not those fancy BKT shops, but those coffee shop stalls.

In JB, I remember it was >RM30 for 2 pax.

----------------------------

Cost of living wise, it's definitely much higher in M'sia.

Last weekend, I was near Bt Indah (Peling) for dinner. Stingray was about 300g, with petai, RM23. Satay was RM0.80/stick.

If we compare the same here, that stingray would cost about $10 while satay is about $0.50/stick.

Quite a lot of Singaporeans failed to understand is, we shouldn't take currency conversion into consideration for Cost of Living. Given the same job there and here, the pay is about the same (denomination wise), in each country's currency. However, the same meal would cost more. A bottle of beer here cost maybe $7-8 while it cost RM17-20 (or higher) in M'sia.

Last edited by globalcookie; 31-10-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 31-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #119
diesel
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by byfun View Post
Ideally should be that way if Malaysia gov want to make more tourist money and most likely Johor will benefit most. But seem Johor royal family not on very good term with the gov ... so politically another issue.

Even this this resolved, if so many sporeans cross over to spend their dollars in Malaysia, i reckon SG custom will also chu pattern.. they dont need increase toll fee. Just need reduce counter during peak hours.. let the people wait and queue... see who can tahan go JB then.
Totally agree ... we also need to consider the journey coming back wor.
Going in Sibeh Song. Coming back to Woodland / Tuas Checkpoint Pui Chow Nua.

I remember once during CNY traffic jam coming back to SG from Tuas Checkpoint.
The queue started all the way from Malaysia Seafront Side.
All the cars squeeze from the original 3 lanes into 6/7 lanes.
It was hell.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #120
mictok
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel View Post
Totally agree ... we also need to consider the journey coming back wor.
Going in Sibeh Song. Coming back to Woodland / Tuas Checkpoint Pui Chow Nua.

I remember once during CNY traffic jam coming back to SG from Tuas Checkpoint.
The queue started all the way from Malaysia Seafront Side.
All the cars squeeze from the original 3 lanes into 6/7 lanes.
It was hell.
Some more now many drive older car, jam too long will have to open bonnet. My 9 years old car jam for 1.5hrs aircon blow warm air.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote