Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 08-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #31
ryzcris

nope...
its somewhat the same...
diffuser just makes the bubbles finer...

Finer means more solubility of the CO2 into the water...
but if you find means of delaying the bubbles from reaching the sruface that should work as well... of coursei f its bubbling like CRAZY... what the heck.. you'll have your CO2 in pretty much excess...

Old 09-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #32
dragonfly_sg

Maybe I can share a trick about using the diffuser. Normally when we start off we're all very Kiashu and place the diffuser all the way near the bottom of the tank, this way the bubbles will get max exposure while they are on the way up. For tank CO2 this may not be a problem, but for DIY CO2 whichi I am still using, it doess sometime cause some delay in the initial stage

So here's what I recommend. When you mixed your DIY CO2 fix up eveything and put about 5mm of water into the tube as a marker (anywhere where there is a connection), fix the tube into the diffuser but leave in on land, try to clear the diffuser of water before you fix it up if you can. In this way without the additional pressure of the diffuser in the water, you should see the water marker starts moving once you DIY CO2 generator start "cooking". Once the marker is moving smoothly lower the diffuser slowly in the water, couple of inch in at a time, there will not be bubbles for awhile until the pressure buildup in the bottle equal the depth. But if for too long you notice no bubbles forming, its means you sprang a leak somewhere.

Hopes this helps.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:14 PM   #33
macross

how about using those wood air stone used for marine?

The produce fine bubbles too ...
Old 10-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #34
[C]irRuS

Cool

weird leh
your c02 last 3 wks...
my one week dies off liao
Old 10-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #35
macross

I'm going to try the below formula as well for my 2.5ft planted

1.5 litres coke bottle
about 2/3s full of water
2-3 table spoonfuls of sugar
1 table spoonful of glucose
1/2 cupful of rice uncooked
1/4 teasoonful of yeast

Just need a few clarifications,
1) what is glucose?
2) any specific brand of yeast? heard there is fresh one and dry ones ??

Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #36
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by macross
how about using those wood air stone used for marine?

The produce fine bubbles too ...
I got a tank with DIY CO2 using those wood block. Mine is working ok, but Keong Siong (LFS in Havelock) told me their other customer have problem with that, said it's only meant for marine (skimmer). I guess those blocks require more pressure and a more air-tight setup.

The bubbles produced are fine, so that are pretty good IMO. Thats provided you could get it to work

Last edited by dragonfly_sg; 11-10-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:50 AM   #37
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by macross
Just need a few clarifications,
1) what is glucose?
2) any specific brand of yeast? heard there is fresh one and dry ones ??

Thanks
1)Never used it for DIY CO2. But my kids does drink those powdered glucose from a blue tin. Wonder if it's those? Can get from most supermart.

2)I use the cheap one from NTUC, the brand is bake king. Normally found in the baking corner for only about a dollar plus. The fresh (newly opened) ones are usually very effective but they tends to be less effective if keep too long or when they crust or harden maybe due to the high humidity. Wonder anyone else has the same problem?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #38
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_sg
1)Never used it for DIY CO2. But my kids does drink those powdered glucose from a blue tin. Wonder if it's those? Can get from most supermart.

2)I use the cheap one from NTUC, the brand is bake king. Normally found in the baking corner for only about a dollar plus. The fresh (newly opened) ones are usually very effective but they tends to be less effective if keep too long or when they crust or harden maybe due to the high humidity. Wonder anyone else has the same problem?
If you are really concerned with the "freshness" of the yeast, you can get those that are individually sealed. They do retail it at supermarkets instead in a small container though the price is higher.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #39
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck
If you are really concerned with the "freshness" of the yeast, you can get those that are individually sealed. They do retail it at supermarkets instead in a small container though the price is higher.
I didn't realise there's are those. Can you point me to the supermart that carries it? And if possible the brand? Might want to check them out when I hit the supermart the next time. thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:15 AM   #40
ryzcris

Quote:
Originally Posted by [C]irRuS
weird leh
your c02 last 3 wks...
my one week dies off liao
you put too much yeast right...
super power CO2 bubbling but then then last only one week..
try to moderate the amounts...