Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #31
kencfk

No wonder, I stay 2nd level HDB, all surrounded by buildings and flats. Can be quite warm and humid.
Old 15-03-2007, 01:07 AM   #32
tonylai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bybloz View Post
I have recently set up a 2ft planted and I'm using a cooling fan that has 4 small units of rotors... but I find the noise level disturbing. Can someone advise what kind of cooling fan has the least noise?

Thanks

If you're willing to go the DIY fan route, the quietest fan you can find will be the Sunon Maglev series of fans. As the name implies, it uses magnetic levitation instead of normal sleeve or ball bearing. In simple terms, the fan shaft is floating in air when spinning so no ball bearing are rubbing and creating noise. And these fans are supposed to last much longer and remain quiet throughout use compared to normal fans. More info can be found here :
http://www.sunon.com.tw/english/wealth/tech/tech-05.htm

BTW, I do not work for sunon or have any dealing with them. I'm just a happy user of this fan after having so many fans fail or get noisy after weeks or months of useage. I bought mine from Sim Lim Tower 5th floor. One of the shops facing escalator. I'm using 2x 40mm fans on my 1.5 ft. And they are certainly quieter then other fans I've tried.

Other then this fan other tips for quiet fans :

Bearing choice (Quiet to noisy):
- Maglev fan
- Sleeve bearing fan
- Ball bearing fan
(However Sleeve bearing fans although start out quieter then ball bearing fans, they start becoming noiser then ball fearing fans after a while. They also have shorter life. Remember for aquarium, they run 24/7. So still more woth to get ball bearing compared to sleeve. But of course Maglev still my favourite)

Fan Sizes :
- It's better to have 1 big 80mm fans than 2 small 40mm fans to achieve the same flow rate. If space allows.

Fan Placement:
- Place it as close to the water as possible. More effective then having it far away.

- Angle it direct down towards the water instead of at an angle. (I know many will disagree with this.) But this is my personal opinion. But have to place it somewhere where there is most surface water movement. Like near the filter output.
Old 15-03-2007, 01:29 AM   #33
Salphur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylai View Post
Fan Sizes :
- It's better to have 1 big 80mm fans than 2 small 40mm fans to achieve the same flow rate. If space allows.
Hi Tony,
Do you mean that using the bigger sized fan means water temp will be lower? I've got a small 9x9cam, 12 volt fan for my 2 feet and the temp stays around 28 degree. If i never on the fan and switch on my PL 55w light, the temp hits 30 deg.

How i can get the 25-26 degrees some bros here have managed to hit?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers.
Old 15-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #34
natsuboku

When you mentioned 40mm and 80mm, u meant the length of each blade or the total diameter of the fan?
Old 15-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #35
tonylai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salphur View Post
Hi Tony,
Do you mean that using the bigger sized fan means water temp will be lower? I've got a small 9x9cam, 12 volt fan for my 2 feet and the temp stays around 28 degree. If i never on the fan and switch on my PL 55w light, the temp hits 30 deg.

How i can get the 25-26 degrees some bros here have managed to hit?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers.

Bigger fans don't mean cooler. What i mean is to get the same amount of wind using 1 big fan is more silent then 2 small fan.

With fan you can only get 2-3 deg lower than without fan. There is no way to lower 5deg with just fans. Those bro who gets 25-26 probably stay in high floor or their house is cooler. Also other then lights another culprit that heats up your tank is the pump / filter. Especially internal filter, all the heat will go into your tank water...
Old 15-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #36
natsuboku

Quote:
Bigger fans don't mean cooler. What i mean is to get the same amount of wind using 1 big fan is more silent then 2 small fan.

With fan you can only get 2-3 deg lower than without fan. There is no way to lower 5deg with just fans. Those bro who gets 25-26 probably stay in high floor or their house is cooler. Also other then lights another culprit that heats up your tank is the pump / filter. Especially internal filter, all the heat will go into your tank water...
Quite true though, I'm able to keep temp arnd 26 Deg, sometimes 24 in the morning as i stay at 14th floor, surrounding no building, always got strong wind, and using cannister.
Old 15-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #37
tonylai

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsuboku View Post
When you mentioned 40mm and 80mm, u meant the length of each blade or the total diameter of the fan?
That normally refers to the size of the Frame of the fan. The length from screw hole to screw hole on each side.
Old 15-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #38
natsuboku

Oh, in that case, I'm using 11mm(4 inch) fan~
Old 15-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #39
Salphur

Quote:
Especially internal filter, all the heat will go into your tank water...
Thanks Tony,
i guess my internal filter is adding to the heat in my tank hee. I always thought that the heat from that small little block is not very significant.

Cheers.
Old 16-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #40
tonylai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salphur View Post
Thanks Tony,
i guess my internal filter is adding to the heat in my tank hee. I always thought that the heat from that small little block is not very significant.

Cheers.

Well, next time you change water or do trimming feel the motor area, see how warm it is. Should be just slightly warm at most, especially for small one. But again, it is there 24hr a day generating that little bit of heat.