Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 19-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Dwight Howard

Default Reducing nitrate level in tank.

Hi bros, what are the way of reducing nitrate level in tank. I did a search and found out that frogbits actually absorb nitrate. Are there any other floating plants that also absorb nitrate? I plan to add some into my aro tank and where can i get frogbits? Any other ways to reduce other than using plants? Thanks bros.
Cheers!
Old 19-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Howard View Post
Hi bros, what are the way of reducing nitrate level in tank. I did a search and found out that frogbits actually absorb nitrate. Are there any other floating plants that also absorb nitrate? I plan to add some into my aro tank and where can i get frogbits? Any other ways to reduce other than using plants? Thanks bros.
Cheers!
Can try the buy/sell forum. People might have them. Can also reduce by feeding less. Other people use money plants or pandan plants.
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
boxedfish
Dragon

hornworts also.. or any fast growing plants... and also regular water changes
boxedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

few options for u to choose:
- plants (which u have ruled out in ur initial post)
- regular WC
- k1 moving media
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
tmark
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiromancer View Post
Can try the buy/sell forum. People might have them. Can also reduce by feeding less. Other people use money plants or pandan plants.

hi bro you mean money plants or pandan if i just put inside the tank they will just grow w/o any sand?
tmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Dwight Howard

Hi bros do you mean money plant and pandan as those plants we keep in pots? I had kept a look out in the b/s forum for the past 1 week and no one seems to be selling them. Are there any LFS that carries hornworts/frogbits? My WC routine is 30% every week. As for the K1 moving media, i had made one and installed it in my tank a few days ago. It is difficult for me reduce feeding as if my aro and ray do not eat to their fill, they would splash water and creating a lot of noise.
Old 19-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
hardric

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
few options for u to choose:
- plants (which u have ruled out in ur initial post)
- regular WC
- k1 moving media
Excuse my ignorance. my understanding of the bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates doesn't like oxygen & requires low water flow. can k1 moving media reduce nitrates? since the K1 moving media seems to create an opposite environment.
Old 19-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
xiaoqiang75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Howard View Post
Hi bros do you mean money plant and pandan as those plants we keep in pots? I had kept a look out in the b/s forum for the past 1 week and no one seems to be selling them. Are there any LFS that carries hornworts/frogbits? My WC routine is 30% every week. As for the K1 moving media, i had made one and installed it in my tank a few days ago. It is difficult for me reduce feeding as if my aro and ray do not eat to their fill, they would splash water and creating a lot of noise.
I juz got a few hornworts at c328 clementi last week
xiaoqiang75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Dwight Howard

I'm actually hoping to look for shops in the north as I live in the north too. So going to clementi would be inconvenient for me.
Old 19-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
xiaoqiang75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardric View Post
Excuse my ignorance. my understanding of the bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates doesn't like oxygen & requires low water flow. can k1 moving media reduce nitrates? since the K1 moving media seems to create an opposite environment.
U are right bro k1 media only help to break down ammonia to nitrates. Nitrates don't like oxygen so using slow water flow in a denitrator help reduce oxygen level n denitrifying bacteria grow.
xiaoqiang75 is offline   Reply With Quote