Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 26-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
scottelfy
Dragon

Default First shot at planted tank

Hi, i've been reading up quite a bit though its nothing much as this is my first shot at doing a planted tank. Please advise me especially if you see me doing something stupid in this journal.

Let the pics do the talking for now:

2ft crystal glass tank.

Can't afford ADA, so try this Japanese brand. Don't have a clue about what it says on the back.

Please stop me if theres anything not done right so far. especially before i add water later on.

thats all for now, will update as soon as something new is done. =] thanks for reading!
scottelfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
boxedfish
Dragon

Your tank looks more like a marine tank setup. Kinda tall. You should do some sloping for your gravel so that the scape will have the illusion of depth. I hoped u will add more wood rite? Your piece of wood does not have much "character" to bring out the scape.

Fill some water to more or less the level of the gravel and start planting. It will be harder to plant when you fill the water to the brim first.

By the way, what plants do u have in mind? Looks to me like a planted shrimp tank. Yes?
boxedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
scottelfy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedfish View Post
Your tank looks more like a marine tank setup. Kinda tall. You should do some sloping for your gravel so that the scape will have the illusion of depth. I hoped u will add more wood rite? Your piece of wood does not have much "character" to bring out the scape.

Fill some water to more or less the level of the gravel and start planting. It will be harder to plant when you fill the water to the brim first.

By the way, what plants do u have in mind? Looks to me like a planted shrimp tank. Yes?
thanks for the advice, the wood was just placed in for fun. actually planned to get another one for the other corner and maybe a taller one.

How should i slope it? from the back downwards to the front?

Erm, no intention to keep shrimps but might just add a few if it goes well.
Old 26-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Apistoinka

Actually gex soil and Ada is abt the same price not much diff... Slope as in back higher than the front... U should get more same of the wood u display to scape as u are in a forest might look good... Main thing is what plant will be in and any co2 injected... Great start bro...
Old 26-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
scottelfy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apistoinka View Post
Actually gex soil and Ada is abt the same price not much diff... Slope as in back higher than the front... U should get more same of the wood u display to scape as u are in a forest might look good... Main thing is what plant will be in and any co2 injected... Great start bro...
yes, i'll be collecting my Co2 cylinder tmr.

actually im still undecided whether to go forest look or iwagumi style.

thinking of adding HC and tenellus as foreground and some other taller plants in the background. Do you think if colourful or green chapter will have these plants? do not want to make a wasted trip as i got most of my equipment today.

Lastly, thanks for the compliments!
Old 26-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
scottelfy
Dragon

added some water and bought a $1 plant, don't even know its name but just wanted to try planting- it isnt as easy as i thought it was!

Am i doing it right?