Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 01-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #351
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Thanks for the comments...

I have not tested the nitrate for quite some time as it always disappointed me with a red indicator See liao sad so decided dont see better

My pandan seems to be growing but they never get dark green colour, always light green. My wife says is unhealthy and will not smell nice if is light green. I wonder why the pandan leaves are in this colour? Any expert?

Lately the tip of the leaves of most plants turn brown, any advise what has happened? What have I done wrong which caused this to the plants? Any expert?

I have mix views regarding the plants. Some say nice and some say is unsightly Wonder if I should remove the plants if they didnt help in the nitrate issue... Welcome any input. Thanks.
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #352
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

The water doesn't contain all the nutrients needed for the plant to develop like it normally would in soil.

You could perhaps rotate the plants in and out of the pond. Couple of weeks in nutrient rich hydroponics solution, couple of weeks in pond.

Needs experimentation.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #353
Zozo
Dragon

Unhealthy look Pandan means good water parameters
Zozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #354
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
You could perhaps rotate the plants in and out of the pond. Couple of weeks in nutrient rich hydroponics solution, couple of weeks in pond.

Needs experimentation.
Haha bro, I think it is tough to remove the plants as their roots are sticked to the media, sponge and rocks, etc... I am lazy to do that too... I just enjoy laying back and watching my fish. This sumo xb is really eye catching in the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
Unhealthy look Pandan means good water parameters
Thanks bro... I remember this is what you told me last time unhealthy plant means good water Maybe I should test the nitrate tomorrow and give myself a surprise... Lol... But I think I will still get a red indication as usual
Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #355
Zozo
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Haha bro, I think it is tough to remove the plants as their roots are sticked to the media, sponge and rocks, etc... I am lazy to do that too... I just enjoy laying back and watching my fish. This sumo xb is really eye catching in the pond

Thanks bro... I remember this is what you told me last time unhealthy plant means good water Maybe I should test the nitrate tomorrow and give myself a surprise... Lol... But I think I will still get a red indication as usual
Bro, forget abt the testing. I already give up testing mine. Hahaha
Zozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #356
Ian

Abc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #357
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Haha bro, should have listened to you... Seeing the red result made me sian half liao....
Old 27-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #358
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Discover some red sponge like things in my catfish mouth... Any advise what is that and can more WC cures it?

TIA

Old 10-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #359
mercury_yz
Dragon

Default Pond

That's one humongous XB. Real solid piece.
mercury_yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #360
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Thks bro Mercury

Today I am very happy to have 2 boys at my patio gate asking me if I could let them come in to see my fish. How will I reject this request from the kids? They are really enthusiastic at their age of 12 year old. It reminds me that my dad bought me my first arowana around this age too, but I know nothing about fish keeping then...,

Both of them are quite knowledgeable in a way as they easily identify some of my fish, especially my hybrid catfish. They went on to tell me more about the RTC which they really like, and I am glad to learn from them

Before they left, they asked if they can come again... and of course, they will have a biggest welcome from me

Is really heart warming to see these youngsters enjoy in this wonderful hobby... At least I can tell my wife, fish keeping is not just an old man hobby, some youngsters do have the passion too

Cheers!