Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #11
Spakase

Quote:
Yes, they are the Malaysian ssp. of Tor
What's ssp? Tor sounds to me like some Marvel Superhero!

Basket, this Tor biz, Tor this Tor that, what's it all about..

Quote:
If possible go get the northern red. It should have brighter fins and body. This one have very deep dark red hence not able to show the prominent red as clearly as the northern species i believe.
Where to get this Northern Red?
You're saying yours is the "Southern Red" ?
So where got sell the Northern Red and if we have one in front of one's eyes, how to tell?

I see the green Kelah has kinda "dark" looking scales, is this the characteristic of the fish?

Old 28-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
What's ssp? Tor sounds to me like some Marvel Superhero!

Basket, this Tor biz, Tor this Tor that, what's it all about..

Where to get this Northern Red?
You're saying yours is the "Southern Red" ?
So where got sell the Northern Red and if we have one in front of one's eyes, how to tell?

I see the green Kelah has kinda "dark" looking scales, is this the characteristic of the fish?
ssp. = sub species
Tor = The first (of two) scientific name to a Mahseer

I just believe so as some other reds have this lighter red tone hence looking brighter. Everything should look less dark in natural lighting.

Green doesnt have dark scales (refer to 1. Humpback Mahseer above). The dark looking ones should be red based on the pics i've posted.

Old 28-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #13
Spakase

Quote:
Green doesnt have dark scales (refer to 1. Humpback Mahseer above). The dark looking ones should be red based on the pics i've posted.
Could you please post more pics of your Red Kelah. Need to see from different angles to appreciate what you are saying. You know a lot about these fishes, but we all out here are newbies to Marshes.....mahseers

U did mention Northern and others regarding Red Kelahs, and someone also said the red is better for fishes found in certain places. Any more information on this?

Old 28-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Could you please post more pics of your Red Kelah. Need to see from different angles to appreciate what you are saying. You know a lot about these fishes, but we all out here are newbies to Marshes.....mahseers

U did mention Northern and others regarding Red Kelahs, and someone also said the red is better for fishes found in certain places. Any more information on this?
For more pics do come back often for journal updates.

About the red kelah location and colouring, sorry - the lead ends here, this is as much as i know. Perhaps someone will share and we all will get to learn and appreciate more in the near future in this journey. Gracias

Old 02-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
Spakase

Quote:
The dark looking ones should be red based on the pics i've posted.
The ones in QH are bright scaled, every single piece! Price is on the high side at $250 a piece. They are nothing like the reds in other lfs.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Spakase

I think it is labeled "Hampala Barba", but they look very kelah. The shine is incredible!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
sebarau
Dragon

bro fishyamazon,
your redfinned looks more to tengas to me..i will posted my two red kelah - WC from Kuala Koh. 1 of them is redish..the other a bit dark due to constant harrasement from FF and aro.. both are about 8" to 9". Feed them with MP.
Mod Spakase,
Hampala is a different family already.. more to sebarau ..
Old 02-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
Spakase

Yep, I know, the fishes at QH don't look like Hampala barbs, I thought they look more like shiny red kelahs, was observing the fishes very closely.

Don't know too much about this Kelah, IMO price may not be a good indicator, as costs and profit margins differ among lfs and suppliers. My advice is to post more pics of the fishes bought at lfs, we need to be talking about the same fish, because I've seen Kelahs go for unbelievably low price, fins and tail are red but the scales are dull coloured.

Some quick updates:

Kelah has been bred in captivity.

Be worthwhile to get hold of this book for Mahseer enthusiasts: "Kings of the Rivers: Mahseer in Malaysia and the Region". The writer would be a guru to write to in case you need to do an ID or need more info on Mahseers.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
sebarau
Dragon

thanks for the info..yup the fisheries dept of M'sia have successfully bred Kelah in their research center - in Melaka..few years back.. and there are some private breeders as well.. when kelah is about 3-4" it is very difficult to tell the difference against tengas..
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
Spakase

What's the diff between Tengas and Kelah?

This Kelah?

Closed Thread