Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
ElectricBlue
Dragon

Sharing my experience on the topic.

1) Regular water change regime 2 - 3 times a week
2) Submerged tanning light created warm water enviroment - increase metabolic rate
3) Constant regular feeding at schedule time
4) Adequate portion size feed
5) Choice of feed
6) Boost with Vit twice a week.
7) Comm environment stimulate competition for food.
ElectricBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
Spakase

Quote:
I notice when young the aro very timid and gets spook easily, they tend to be small eater when they grow up.. anybody notice this as well?
I believe all start off the same way, but along the way, an incident could cause the aro to become timid. I have one Red that started off being a very big eater, later on it became very timid, I noticed it jumped often. After I transferred this fish to another tank, it regained confidence and started eating voraciously again.
Old 13-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
Spakase

Quote:
When aro is under stress, it dun eat
Very true. Stress can come from many factors.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #14
fuici80
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
I believe all start off the same way, but along the way, an incident could cause the aro to become timid. I have one Red that started off being a very big eater, later on it became very timid, I noticed it jumped often. After I transferred this fish to another tank, it regained confidence and started eating voraciously again.
Icic... two of my previously kept aros remain small and fussy eaters even with age and confidence. Perhaps the difference lies in your red was a big eater to begin with..

Btw... i notice weekly fasting for 1 day helps very much in keeping the aro appetite up After adopting this method, my aro never once skip a single meal anymore
fuici80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #15
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

1 day's fasting... detox programme huh? Good idea..

Even for aros that eat... some have 'bad habits'.. some chew& chew & chew before finally gulping down & cause water conditions to deteriorate faster...

some place their food in the mouth & spit out... if they feel like really eating; will gulp it down after few times...
but others will just make owner frustrated & leave the food uneaten... sunk to the bottom of the tank... we gotta clear these out of the tank, if not water quailty will be affected.

tankmates also play a part.. notice whenever i encounter an aro who skips 2-3meals consecutively; i will throw in a Red-Tail Catfish... within 48-72hrs after that... the aro will actively try to grab any food thrown-in, before the catfish has a chance to swim up to the surface... i believe their natural instincts tell them that 'if the catfish grabs it; it will outgrow me in no time'
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
v.jay

Post Aro

If I am going overseas for about 5 days can I just leave him there without any food ? I am confused pls. give me some advice......
Old 13-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #17
alf88
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.jay View Post
If I am going overseas for about 5 days can I just leave him there without any food ? I am confused pls. give me some advice......
Depending how big is ur Aro, Vjay. Last few months when i was converting my 16" Red from SW to MP, she starved for 5 weeks before she accepted MP
alf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #18
v.jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf88 View Post
Depending how big is ur Aro, Vjay. Last few months when i was converting my 16" Red from SW to MP, she starved for 5 weeks before she accepted MP

IT is about 10" RED only feeding MP no tank mate Solo
in a 4 & half ft IOS tank
Old 13-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #19
Spakase

Quote:
Yes, aros can go without food for a week without harm. However, if there are tankmates, they can nip the aro's fins if they are hungry.

Quote:
tankmates also play a part.. notice whenever i encounter an aro who skips 2-3meals consecutively; i will throw in a Red-Tail Catfish... within 48-72hrs after that... the aro will actively try to grab any food thrown-in, before the catfish has a chance to swim up to the surface... i believe their natural instincts tell them that 'if the catfish grabs it; it will outgrow me in no time'
RTC is one of the best tankmates for aros IMO. They don't pose much of a problem as they are mostly at the bottom of the tank, and it seems that the aro is motivated to eat with RTCs around. I keep two small ones in my comm tanks. Really keeps the tank bottom free of leftovers, they are very greedy, more than endies!
Old 13-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #20
v.jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Yes, aros can go without food for a week without harm. However, if there are tankmates, they can nip the aro's fins if they are hungry.

RTC is one of the best tankmates for aros IMO. They don't pose much of a problem as they are mostly at the bottom of the tank, and it seems that the aro is motivated to eat with RTCs around. I keep two small ones in my comm tanks. Really keeps the tank bottom free of leftovers, they are very greedy, more than endies!
Now I am at save & happy for leaving him alone that few days many many thanks, Bro