Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 25-04-2004, 03:21 AM   #1
soops

Default need help

i just start marine fish tank and i was wondering if my old filter that i had use for my luohan suitable or not ?It is Atman type with 3 layers i am now using wool ,sponge and ceramic ring ...is it good enough or do i have to change it to canister type ???????????pls help
Old 25-04-2004, 03:23 AM   #2
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by soops
i just start marine fish tank and i was wondering if my old filter that i had use for my luohan suitable or not ?It is Atman type with 3 layers i am now using wool ,sponge and ceramic ring ...is it good enough or do i have to change it to canister type ???????????pls help
Using overhead filters will cause salt spray that will corrode the surrounding ferrous products and make the floor sticky. If media is used as a tickle filter, it might produce too much nitrate for the water to take.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #3
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
Using overhead filters will cause salt spray that will corrode the surrounding ferrous products and make the floor sticky. If media is used as a tickle filter, it might produce too much nitrate for the water to take.
everything is in the tube water do not spray any where only back to to the tank ..the filter is in a tube shape water go in one end and come out the other end...
Old 25-04-2004, 03:29 AM   #4
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
everything is in the tube water do not spray any where only back to to the tank ..the filter is in a tube shape water go in one end and come out the other end...
That would be a tickle filter in a way and not recommended for marine usage
Old 25-04-2004, 03:39 AM   #5
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
That would be a tickle filter in a way and not recommended for marine usage
ah dan how ???wat filter is better ???no space to put canister type??unless got very small one can fit in less than 30 cm of space left on the floor or i have to throw away.my luohan on the top deck
Old 25-04-2004, 03:43 AM   #6
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
ah dan how ???wat filter is better ???no space to put canister type??unless got very small one can fit in less than 30 cm of space left on the floor or i have to throw away.my luohan on the top deck
if you keep the bioload low, you can even mantain it with a small internal powerhead. Pls read deep_end's article for more information
Old 25-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
slcw

Quote:
u just start means u already setup a marine or thinking to start.

if u have setup and now thinking about the filter sys...oh boy... u would have to provide more info such as size of ur tank and others (lighting) , skimmer in use?
Old 25-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcw
u just start means u already setup a marine or thinking to start.

if u have setup and now thinking about the filter sys...oh boy... u would have to provide more info such as size of ur tank and others (lighting) , skimmer in use?
undefined
My LFS told me that i can set up using my old filter so i clear the luohan clean the tank and set it .I am using 2 feet square tank but after 2 week i test the No2 it is still at orange now it is into the 3rd week he ask me to change water and test again .,he also ask me to add in nutra fin bacteria .Does it really help ???
Old 25-04-2004, 06:11 PM   #9
mansiz

In my opinion, no need to change water, since there is no livestock in the tank, let NH3, NO2 be there, it won't matters, let the nitrifying bacteria build up, and wait patiently for the NO2 and NH3 to be 0. No matter how long, just wait and it will drop. Some ppl wait for 8 weeks before it became 0. Mine I waited for 5 weeks before the last drop of NO2 gone.
Old 25-04-2004, 06:36 PM   #10
KaLiB

Quote:
undefined
My LFS told me that i can set up using my old filter so i clear the luohan clean the tank and set it .I am using 2 feet square tank but after 2 week i test the No2 it is still at orange now it is into the 3rd week he ask me to change water and test again .,he also ask me to add in nutra fin bacteria .Does it really help ???
Since you have no livestock, don't change water its not necessary. You need the nh3 and no2 in the water to get the bacteria growing. Only after cycling is done, you may want to do a water change to reduce no3.

Don't buy the nutrafin bacteria. All these bacteria solutions don't help much at all, just run the tank and let nature take its course, its better.