Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 26-04-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
chua_hs

Default PL vs T5

knew tt this topic must have been brought up so many times.....but got some questions tt i m not sure bout...........

which has longer life?

which has better intensity?

which is cheaper?
(how much does 36w 6500k pl tube cost and how much does a t5 of exact same rating cost?)

is t5 connected to an e-ballast the same way as a FL tube?
Do t5 have wattage rating, length and colur temperature?
Old 27-04-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
KaLiB

Regarding lifespan i have no idea but from what i know, T5s have a better lighting intensity as compared to PLs.

If buy with the holders, T5s cost alot more than PLs, i think easily 1.5-2times more, same for buying just the tubes.

I think a tube of 36W PLs goes for around $10 whereas a tube of 39W T5 can go for about $40 if i'm not wrong.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
slcw

i did a research on t5 and yes t5 is more intense than pL. u can read more in our link at arcadia website.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:57 AM   #4
woonming

German Made T5-HO only cost about $20 to $28 now....
Old 10-05-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
Jeffrey74

Hi guys, anyone can tell me how much it cost for a set of 4ft T5 lighting? How many watts should be used for a 4ftx1.5x2ft tank wif no sps?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:43 AM   #6
KaLiB

What kind of stuff your keeping if your not keeping SPS?

Think for a 4' tank your looking at a min. cost of $300 for just 1 set of lights.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:57 AM   #7
Jeffrey74

Thanks kaLib, I'm asking on behalf my brother. He's keeping mushrooms & polyps mainly. Intend to setup a 4ft tank. Btw, any recommendation where to get the light sets? Cheaper the merrier
Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
deep_end

Jeffrey,

For T5, it's better not to look at price. Reason is the China brands that people are complaining about are so much cheaper - Compare $70 to $370 and you know what I mean.

For mushrooms and polyps, it might be more viable to get PL-L lamp sets instead. These have been in the market longer, and prices are lower without losing reliability.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
slcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_end
Jeffrey,

For T5, it's better not to look at price. Reason is the China brands that people are complaining about are so much cheaper - Compare $70 to $370 and you know what I mean.

For mushrooms and polyps, it might be more viable to get PL-L lamp sets instead. These have been in the market longer, and prices are lower without losing reliability.
but there is not many brands of PL available