Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 22-09-2005, 11:58 PM   #81
rosle atin
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
I use PL cos its lighter and cheaper to me

ur N1wan got closeup photos?

basically vincent's reds just need to adjust the water properly it should show the original color liao

close up pix bro fyi ...... which brand u recommend and how much it cost.
i have a marine pl lite which half blue/white can or not?

Last edited by rosle atin; 23-09-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 23-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #82
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowana
Bro, what is water mark? Can elobrate more? If let say we use assumption of normal 2 tube light housing, what will be the diff?
alamak...

water mark refers to the water level --> usually it will leave a line there right?

Part 9: Light coverage and tanning Zones

Light Coverage - refers to the effective area of the max effect of tanning lights...general rule of thumb is taking a distance of 4" from the light set
to gauge the effective distance, switch on ur light set and hold it at a distance of 4" above the ground...see the lighted area as shown on ur flooring thats the effective range

Tanning Zones - Areas to be covered include tummy, 4th , 5th level scales...avoid the 6th level scales (meaning top tanning)

Water Mark - refers to the water level of the tank in which the tanning subject is being held

Frequently travelled area - the average of the body width of the red and the diff between the red and the water mark

Last edited by kagemaru; 23-09-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Old 23-09-2005, 12:10 AM   #83
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosle atin

close up pix bro fyi ...... which brand u recommend and how much it cost.
i have a marine pl lite which half blue/white can or not?
PL light set just get those 36W x 2 CR is sufficient...ur this red only lacking in the intensity of the rims...tan a little will show a more clearer definition

the rest is all there liao...gill plate probably short term improvement is lesser

max is reach the front gill part before the "A" area in short term

Old 23-09-2005, 12:33 AM   #84
SIOWARO
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
u can do a google on D3 lights and the effects glass has on filtering the UV rays out .... it's 95% and the results are from the manufacturers of D3 lights themselves which means they've no reason to put the filtering percentage higher as these lights are used to tan reptiles
you mean d3 tube glass do filter 95% of uv?so which mean in order to get a more uv rays to tan the reds,we must get some light tube that the glass will filter less uv inorder to maximise the tan?
Old 23-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #85
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIOWARO
you mean d3 tube glass do filter 95% of uv?so which mean in order to get a more uv rays to tan the reds,we must get some light tube that the glass will filter less uv inorder to maximise the tan?
no actually the easier way is to remove the glass and max out the UV

wat John meant was tat the D3 arcadia was orignally meant to be used above the vivarium for reptiles for their UV tanning regime

not to be used with glass

Old 23-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #86
krowana

Regarding to your this sentence, Tanning Zones - Areas to be covered include tummy, 4th , 5th level scales...avoid the 6th level scales (meaning top tanning), does it mean that the light be put at both side of the tank lenght? Only will the light housing be put at the side, then the ray will only hit the side and not the top?

Old 23-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #87
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowana
Regarding to your this sentence, Tanning Zones - Areas to be covered include tummy, 4th , 5th level scales...avoid the 6th level scales (meaning top tanning), does it mean that the light be put at both side of the tank lenght? Only will the light housing be put at the side, then the ray will only hit the side and not the top?
if u calculate the height correctly, minimal light should hit the top scales...or unless ur top 6th level all cleared and now u using tanning to push color on 6th level scales...then I nothing to say

If not side is the better position

Old 23-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #88
krowana

Is this what you mean, bro kage?

Last edited by krowana; 26-12-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Old 23-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #89
ken_yg

These the most complete guides for tanning.
Though may seen a little too elaborate to those who used to hanging stonger lighting directly above tank, it still offer a new way to get the light where it is needed most. Hope to see more updates from bros who hanged lighting at side of tanks.
I don't have light below water level for the emperor, yet the belly coloration development is better than level one & below scales. So got my doubt on having lighting below water level. Rather. it will be good to locate red near to window. The natural lighting outdoor, even diffuse, will have good effect for tanning need.

Old 23-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #90
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_yg
These the most complete guides for tanning.
Though may seen a little too elaborate to those who used to hanging stonger lighting directly above tank, it still offer a new way to get the light where it is needed most. Hope to see more updates from bros who hanged lighting at side of tanks.
I don't have light below water level for the emperor, yet the belly coloration development is better than level one & below scales. So got my doubt on having lighting below water level. Rather. it will be good to locate red near to window. The natural lighting outdoor, even diffuse, will have good effect for tanning need.

Bro Ken_yg

thanks for your kind compliments and feedback...I merely lay out on the table the details of the tanning experiment I perform for the past 6 months...with the various lights and positions...

Water like Vil have mentioned is a critical key towards the success of tanning

Timing is another...doing it at the right time, right place will make it easier

ur emperor is of very gd genes...can see the tummy area although the rims are still not too defined...its still very impressive...

top tanning have their believers hence I do not wan to discount the credibility

btw where do u hang ur light?
top?
or coupled with natural sunshine?
the jaw part seems interesting...same display as my other 3 small panda red when they were put through one series of special light treatment

Last edited by kagemaru; 23-09-2005 at 03:41 PM.

Tags
tanning light arowana