Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 23-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Planted

Default Can i double check this :

Hi to all the masters, i am looking at converting from FW to SW.

i had read many article using other alternative filtration.

Want to find out is it possible to use canister filter 700l/hr for a 2.5ft tank?
I have a chiller along with it.

Not intending for heavy coral/reefing but simple setup with sandbed, live rocks and just a few coral.

As for fishes, looking at

yellow tangx1,
lionfishx1,
clownfishx2-3
and say damselx2-3,
and also shrimpsx2.

Until then i wont dare to look at dragonet etc. Mainly small sized fishes with 1-2 bigger like the lion n tang.

How do i attach my skimmer in this case? My tank has a covered top with lighting fixed. Will need to change the tubes.
Old 23-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
Planted

Title should be double check. Sorry.

And thank you all for ur contribution, ur help will definitely motivate me into this hobby.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
KaLiB

Welcome to this hobby!

A canister filter can be used but you would need to clean it regularly to prevent it from choking up and becoming a source of nitrates.

Just some pointers on the intended list of livestock:
- I'm afraid 2.5ft is too small for the yellow tang. They need alot of swimming space.
- What are the dimensions of the 2.5ft tank? Depending on the dimensions, it might be small for the lionfish as well.
- If the tank is big enough for the lionfish, you can only keep the lionfish alone as it would eat up your shrimps, damsels and clownfish. They eat shrimps and fish that can fit in their mouths.
- If your looking for a community setup with 1-2bigger fishes, you can consider keeping dwarf angels or some of the hardier butterflyfish instead.
- I would suggest reconsidering with the damsels as these fish can get very aggressive and cause problems later on. You can consider replacing them with more peaceful alternatives like firefish, blennies, basslets.

You might have to do away with the cover as skimmers are designed to either be hanged on the tank wall or installed in the tank. An alternative would be to go skimmerless but you would need to keep the bioload low and avoid overfeeding. Regular water changes would also help. I'm running my 24 gallon nanocube without a skimmer but I only have 3 small fish in there.
Old 23-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Welcome to this hobby!

A canister filter can be used but you would need to clean it regularly to prevent it from choking up and becoming a source of nitrates.

Just some pointers on the intended list of livestock:
- I'm afraid 2.5ft is too small for the yellow tang. They need alot of swimming space.
- What are the dimensions of the 2.5ft tank? Depending on the dimensions, it might be small for the lionfish as well.
- If the tank is big enough for the lionfish, you can only keep the lionfish alone as it would eat up your shrimps, damsels and clownfish. They eat shrimps and fish that can fit in their mouths.
- If your looking for a community setup with 1-2bigger fishes, you can consider keeping dwarf angels or some of the hardier butterflyfish instead.
- I would suggest reconsidering with the damsels as these fish can get very aggressive and cause problems later on. You can consider replacing them with more peaceful alternatives like firefish, blennies, basslets.

You might have to do away with the cover as skimmers are designed to either be hanged on the tank wall or installed in the tank. An alternative would be to go skimmerless but you would need to keep the bioload low and avoid overfeeding. Regular water changes would also help. I'm running my 24 gallon nanocube without a skimmer but I only have 3 small fish in there.
Thanks for ur comment!! Skimmerless, i shall try thst. And thanks for sharing the peaceful fish choices. i shall look into that.