Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #31
TRIX
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
bro depend on the amount of bio-load if keep low bio-load like shrimps still not too bad. But if you keeping fish than you have some ugly apparatus in your tank that might spolit the view.

hahaha
Thanks for the info. I actually bought a big packet of the K1 media before, but couldn't quite figure out how to implement the use in my sump tank so threw everything away, lol. But I'm tempted to DIY one again as an add-on for my shrimp tank
TRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #32
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIX View Post
Thanks for the info. I actually bought a big packet of the K1 media before, but couldn't quite figure out how to implement the use in my sump tank so threw everything away, lol. But I'm tempted to DIY one again as an add-on for my shrimp tank
Something which I copy and paste from interenet.

Details Kaldnes Moving Bed process, which has been scientifically tried and tested in fish farming and waste water treatment for over 10 years, is now available for fish keepers and is exclusively distributed worldwide by Evolution Aqua. The media is engineered in a wheel shape and is slightly positively bouyant. This allows a small amount of water flow to circulate the media throughout the vessel. This flow is created with your air pump and air stones or diffuser etc. How it works Maturing the Kaldnes bio-media is important because a delicate eco-system is naturally developing for the bacteria involved in the nitrification process. Kaldnes media provides the maximum active surface area for the bacteria to colonise, more than other types of static media. It is this process which removes harmful ammonia and nitrite from the water. How it is different to other media As the Kaldnes media moves within the filter, it causes the old dead bacteria on the outside to be displaced. This makes space for new younger heavier feeding bacteria to rapidly colonise. Within the wheel is a protected surface which enables colonies of bacteria to naturally follow their lifecycle, of maturing, dying and then fueling the latter stages of the nitrification cycle. Kaldnes has been designed to provide the best possible habitat for both young and mature beneficial bacterial colonies. What is meant by 'self cleaning'? Unlike foam, matting, or other forms of static filtration media, the Kaldnes K1/K3 media is designed to move freely within your filter. The constant chaotic movement of the air from your pump, causes the media to self clean and thus requires no maintenance. This allows the filter to reach optimum effectiveness without the disturbance of periodic cleaning, avoiding unnecessary loss of bacteria within the filter. 50 Litres of K1 media will handle up to 250 grammes of food per day and for K3, 225 grammes of food per day. For retrofit of existing filters, K3 media is the most suitable due to its larger size and ease of control.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
Bro abit too much the flow not enough.
It's the right amount. They are moving constantly in there and not too fast.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
TRIX
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Something which I copy and paste from interenet.

Details Kaldnes Moving Bed process, which has been scientifically tried and tested in fish farming and waste water treatment for over 10 years, is now available for fish keepers and is exclusively distributed worldwide by Evolution Aqua. The media is engineered in a wheel shape and is slightly positively bouyant. This allows a small amount of water flow to circulate the media throughout the vessel. This flow is created with your air pump and air stones or diffuser etc. How it works Maturing the Kaldnes bio-media is important because a delicate eco-system is naturally developing for the bacteria involved in the nitrification process. Kaldnes media provides the maximum active surface area for the bacteria to colonise, more than other types of static media. It is this process which removes harmful ammonia and nitrite from the water. How it is different to other media As the Kaldnes media moves within the filter, it causes the old dead bacteria on the outside to be displaced. This makes space for new younger heavier feeding bacteria to rapidly colonise. Within the wheel is a protected surface which enables colonies of bacteria to naturally follow their lifecycle, of maturing, dying and then fueling the latter stages of the nitrification cycle. Kaldnes has been designed to provide the best possible habitat for both young and mature beneficial bacterial colonies. What is meant by 'self cleaning'? Unlike foam, matting, or other forms of static filtration media, the Kaldnes K1/K3 media is designed to move freely within your filter. The constant chaotic movement of the air from your pump, causes the media to self clean and thus requires no maintenance. This allows the filter to reach optimum effectiveness without the disturbance of periodic cleaning, avoiding unnecessary loss of bacteria within the filter. 50 Litres of K1 media will handle up to 250 grammes of food per day and for K3, 225 grammes of food per day. For retrofit of existing filters, K3 media is the most suitable due to its larger size and ease of control.
Thanks for the info too!
Last time I hear people say K1 good, I didn't really read what's all about but after buying, disappointed with a bag of floating plastics
So it's about cultivating young commandos that can have their meals riding roller coaster 24/7
Time to DIY a battalion of them
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #35
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Thanks for the info too!
Last time I hear people say K1 good, I didn't really read what's all about but after buying, disappointed with a bag of floating plastics
So it's about cultivating young commandos that can have their meals riding roller coaster 24/7
Time to DIY a battalion of them
Have fun~ It's not fun putting these media into the big bottle though... Sibeh sian one.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
TRIX
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Have fun~ It's not fun putting these media into the big bottle though... Sibeh sian one.
I bought the K1 media just now and I'm trying out another way using external hook on. If works, may be good for small nano tank. Let me test fire first
Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
I bought the K1 media just now and I'm trying out another way using external hook on. If works, may be good for small nano tank. Let me test fire first
I can only say the more you put into the bottle the more that bottle gonna float That's why I must secure with cable tie to the pipe if not will be floating up!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #38
TRIX
Senior Dragon

Hi guys,

I'm not sure anyone done this before, but since I have this:

I might as well add a small powerhead inside to churn the K1 media.
My very own external K1 bed filter for nano tank

I will try to improve on the flow to churn the K1 media.

What you guys think?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #39
cheetf
Dragon

Sorry but how is the media going to spin? It's all crowded in the corner.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #40
Koji™
Account Disabled

Bro trix, try adding more K1 into it and also lower your powerhead to the base. Take some time for all of them to start circulating.