Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 20-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
toshinobu

Default Newbie saying HI

Hello everyone. New to the forum here as I am an expat here in Singapore. Recently I have been discussing about build a fresh water aquarium for my office in the East, partly for Feng shui and partly I know my daughter will love it. I have a little bit of fresh water aquarium experience from my college days in the US, like 20 years ago... Anyway, I am still waiting for my electrician to see if he can put a outlet at the place where I want my tank. Mean while I tell you guys how I want to set up and welcome any input. TIA

1. probably around 15-20 gallon. rectangular. 3ft x 1ft x 2ft. Cannot be too big due to the space.

2. Aquaclear 110 HOB filter (Can I get this in Singapore??)

3. anubias and java fern, so I think I can go substrate less. If I want to add amazon sword, then I probably would need substrate.

4. Very low load tank, maybe just a school of 10 tetras

So as you can see, I just want it very simple and easy to maintain one. Can someone also suggest a good store that I should visit. I am on the east side and visited Sam's place at Marine Parade already (seems pretty cool guy to talk to). Any other good stores?? Thank you
toshinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
toshinobu

Oh by the way, I will probably do the nitrogen cycle first. I am very patient and detailed so I like to "fix" the water until its just right. I dont mind putting the fish in 1-2 months later.

This time I actually want to try the fishless cycle method. I know there are some bacteria yeast in a bottle on the market now. I think I will give it a try. I think the label says can put fish in right away, but I probably will still wait until everything is perfect.
Old 20-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Gowling
Dragon

You can get everything you need at Seaview. It is easy to shop there. The guys are very helpful and the stuffs are organised neatly.

2 Seletar West Farmway 2, Singapore 798098
Gowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshinobu View Post
Hello everyone. New to the forum here as I am an expat here in Singapore. Recently I have been discussing about build a fresh water aquarium for my office in the East, partly for Feng shui and partly I know my daughter will love it. I have a little bit of fresh water aquarium experience from my college days in the US, like 20 years ago... Anyway, I am still waiting for my electrician to see if he can put a outlet at the place where I want my tank. Mean while I tell you guys how I want to set up and welcome any input. TIA

1. probably around 15-20 gallon. rectangular. 3ft x 1ft x 2ft. Cannot be too big due to the space.

2. Aquaclear 110 HOB filter (Can I get this in Singapore??)

3. anubias and java fern, so I think I can go substrate less. If I want to add amazon sword, then I probably would need substrate.

4. Very low load tank, maybe just a school of 10 tetras

So as you can see, I just want it very simple and easy to maintain one. Can someone also suggest a good store that I should visit. I am on the east side and visited Sam's place at Marine Parade already (seems pretty cool guy to talk to). Any other good stores?? Thank you

bro, welcome to af.

here, we talk fish and fishkeeping beside other things too

there are abundant of fish shops selling fish and fishkeeping accessories along serangoon north avenue 1 blk 151.

you should be able to most of your requirements there

good on you.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
ilove2pigs
Arofanatic

Aquaclear is one of the pricier HOB filters in Singapore. I've seen it frequently on other fish forums on how it's a workhorse.

I've seen it at C328; another known local fish shop (LFS)

Clementi florist and aquarium.
BLK 328 clementi avenue 2.

If your 3x1x2 is a all-round braced tank, just take note you might have issues placing the HOB.
ilove2pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
dhmy3kgto
Arofanatic

If you decide on Amazon Swords, you will need aquasoil but it can also help kick start your tank cycling due to the ammonia in the soil itself. There are many low tech plants available. Just that maintenance might be an issue.
dhmy3kgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
toshinobu

Thank you for everyone's input. I am thinking about making a trip out tomorrow to Serangoon and Sengkang to check out couple LFS.

Right now I am just brain storming ideas. I am thinking about doing Iwagumi style, using java moss for the foreground carpet, then java fern for the background plants. So I can get away using gravel instead of substrate so less algae problem. Do you guys think it would work? The main reason I want to make it low maintenance so that I can teach my daughter how to enjoy this hobby, and just something nice and ZEN to look at in the office.

I am done with the days when I used to set up 4-5 tanks in my college days with different craps in each tank, then need to maintain everything and clean and that everyday... That becomes more as a second job than a hobby.
Old 28-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #8
toshinobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowling View Post
You can get everything you need at Seaview. It is easy to shop there. The guys are very helpful and the stuffs are organised neatly.

2 Seletar West Farmway 2, Singapore 798098
Thank you sir for recommending Seaview. went there this afternoon during the down pour, only one word to describe the place..... AWESOME! Staff are friendly and professional, and the price reasonable.

I don't want to leave even after 2 hrs.
Old 28-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
patclay
Dragon

Quote:
Thank you sir for recommending Seaview. went there this afternoon during the down pour, only one word to describe the place..... AWESOME! Staff are friendly and professional, and the price reasonable.

Great shopping experience for you... Well done.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Gowling
Dragon

Quote:

Glad you like it. I have been visiting Seaview for years and they have improved a lot in terms of stocks variety and customer service.
Gowling is offline   Reply With Quote