Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 26-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #101
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Ok bro. So to check if I WC 90% (just assuming), I should dose full amount of AC for the 90% into the 10% of remaining tank water? But in doing so, wont the 10% of old tank water without chlorine, taking in 9x the dosage before the new water is coming in slowly?
Do u understand my concern... Hopefully can clear this up and do the right procedure for ny next WC. I havebought and just tried this new AC. Everything looks good. Will monitor closely. Thks for introducing this AC. Cheers.
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #102
Hellarts
Arofanatic

Thumbs up

Just bought a small bottle of AST. Everything looks good and fishes are all doing well and able to eat in a short while after wc too and fishes doesnt look like in stress while topping up water with max water flow(for my max flow)
Hellarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #103
Razor Wei
Arofanatic

Sharing my experience with AST and Seachem Prime , previously when doing wc with seachem prime in my tank and fgt mostly once per week about 30% I always have to sit by both for about an hour just to check whether that my rays survive (as mostly are teacups and they are very sensitive to water change ), they will always be in a state of heavy breathing and stuck in a corner not moving. However after switching to AST it was in a much more better situation where they will keep moving normally and the breathing was normal so although it is quite ex but i will continue using it and recommend using it
Razor Wei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #104
lee_toh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellarts View Post
Just bought a small bottle of AST. Everything looks good and fishes are all doing well and able to eat in a short while after wc too and fishes doesnt look like in stress while topping up water with max water flow(for my max flow)
Bro, can let me know where you bought the small bottle of AST?
TIA.
lee_toh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #105
Hellarts
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_toh View Post
Bro, can let me know where you bought the small bottle of AST?
TIA.
Seaview is selling @ $25 fixed.
Old 26-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #106
shalabin
Dragon

Hi all,

As the ammonia level straight from my tap was quite high at approximately 0.5mg/l, i was quite concern about the ammonia removal capability AST. Thus i approached Bro Tay and conducted a small experiment with him to test out the capability.

The test is done based on approximately 9litres of tap water and the ammonia level measures 0.5mg/l straight from the tap. We added around 0.05g of ammonia bicarbonate and managed to increase the Ammonia level of the water to around 7.0 to 8.0mg/l. PH was stable at 7.5 despite the increase in ammonia level.

We then added AST as per dosage recommended at 1.5ml and took measurement again. The ammonia level dropped to 4mg/l after the initiate dosage. Thus we added another 1.5ml and tested a 1mg/l ammonia reading.

We did the test another 2 times at 1.5ml each time and managed to drop the ammonia reading to 0,5mg/l and 0.25mg/l. However we ran out of test tube for the final testing but our guess is that another dosage should successfully eliminate all ammonia reading.

This would mean that we need roughly 5x the recommended dosage to remove approximately 7.0-8.0mg/l of ammonia. It is also noted that the ph was stable at 7.5 throughout the test.

We did the test on another brand of AC that i was previously using and we discovered that despite the recommended dosage was much lower, it require the same absolute volume of AC as per AST to remove the same level of ammonia.

Another point noted was that these tests were done straight after dosing the AST and the test results were constant as per one done 5 minute later which could indicate that the AC reacts almost instantly.

This is just a small experiment for learning purposes and if we missed out anything, do point out so that we can learn more about this product to help each other.

Cheers
shalabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #107
shalabin
Dragon

Just to clarify that in the photo the ammonia reading saying 3.5mg/l was taken too early and it changed after 5minutes are up. The rest of the readings are took after 5minutes are up.

Cheers
shalabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #108
Tay
Dragon

Pls take note that the ammonia lvl to remove is 7 to 8 mg/l which is extremely high in relative to fish tank context. usually fish tank will not hv such high lvl. We set it high to test the effectiveness of the AC. As such pls do not be confused by why we need to dose few time to reach zero ammonia.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #109
Hellarts
Arofanatic

Quote:
For some Information to someone( sorry mod I'm not looking for trouble if this is not appropriate you may do so to remove this post ) I just want to clarify that I only say using this AST my fishes doesn't look stress. I never accuse,saying or meant that other brand will give stress while wc.
I did use other brand before and it was good too, I was only want to try out this ast and the outcome is good so I posted a good feedback on here. Cheers.
Old 27-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #110
Tay
Dragon

Quote:
For some Information to someone( sorry mod I'm not looking for trouble if this is not appropriate you may do so to remove this post ) I just want to clarify that I only say using this AST my fishes doesn't look stress. I never accuse,saying or meant that other brand will give stress while wc.
I did use other brand before and it was good too, I was only want to try out this ast and the outcome is good so I posted a good feedback on here. Cheers.
1st I like to clarify that I don kn bro Hellarts. I already noticed long ago that the there is a dark force behind the scene trying surpress the up coming of a gd pdt. My advise to this "Dark Force", AF is a place for all hobyyist to voice their opinions freely, if u wan to protect ur own pdts or other pple's pdts, pls come out with one gd pdt to compete & not using threatening method or watever. If u hv v gd pdt, I used and is gd I will post review for u also, np.

I like to take this opportunities to call upon all pure real fish hobbyists, do not bow to such pple, do wat u think is right, rep pt doesnt mean anything, AF is a fair forum and I believe something will be done if this "Dark Force" go over board. Pls write ur gd reviews, not only in this AST, but in any other thread regardless of fishes or pdts. Why must we be threaten by these pple hiding behind the scene
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote