Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 25-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
dragon_ng
Dragon

Default How to make the big DW stay?

Hi all, just got a big DW from lfs nearby, the uncle said the DW will definitely sink, the problem is the DW is not sink, instead it is floating, any good method to keep the DW stay at the spot that I want? Do not want to waste the 3 red note DW, if cannot sink what can I do? Thank you.

Size of DW: 22"(h)x14"(w)x12"(d), weight about 8~9 kg.
dragon_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
canopy
Dragon

if you can, boil water and put in the drift wood. If not let it float for a while (maybe 2-3 months), it will eventually sink down. Another methos is to add weight to the DW, I tied the iron weight used for fishing to the wood to make it sink down.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
uneek

Another method if you cannot wait is to get a piece of tile or slate, drill a hole through the middle and screw it to the driftwood so that the tile becomes a base for the driftwood to sit on.
Old 25-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
joshua02
Arofanatic

soak in boiled water for a day. before placing in the tank.
joshua02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Jeffers

uneeks method works good and looks good also if you dont have anything big enough to boil in.
Old 25-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Kheong
Banned

Besides boiling, another way to expedite the sinking is to push the dw into your tank by hand, then turn it about 360 deg. I find that this way, it allows trapped air in the dw to escape faster, hence making it sink faster too.
Kheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
dragon_ng
Dragon

thanks all bros for the kind advices, I had soak the DW into my biggest pail, still have about 2" out of the water surface. By the way to put the DW into boil water is to kill gems or to make it sink? I can see after 1 day of soaking the water turn darker, do I need to change water? Sorry for many queries as this is first time I put such a big DW into my tank for the sake of my ITs, before this my tank is always clear.
dragon_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
corn
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_ng View Post
thanks all bros for the kind advices, I had soak the DW into my biggest pail, still have about 2" out of the water surface. By the way to put the DW into boil water is to kill gems or to make it sink? I can see after 1 day of soaking the water turn darker, do I need to change water? Sorry for many queries as this is first time I put such a big DW into my tank for the sake of my ITs, before this my tank is always clear.
yeah, soaking it in water will extract the tannin. And when you finally locate it in your tank, the water will not get so dark. I used large fishing sinkers when I faced the "floating problem". Don't know if the lead will cause poisoning of the water, but my aro and tankmates are fine.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
Freedom109

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
yeah, soaking it in water will extract the tannin. And when you finally locate it in your tank, the water will not get so dark. I used large fishing sinkers when I faced the "floating problem". Don't know if the lead will cause poisoning of the water, but my aro and tankmates are fine.
Read somewhere that says fish sinkers will affect water parameters. Can be very sensitive if you are keeping shrimps, not sure for arowana though.