Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-08-2005, 12:05 AM   #21
nim75sg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Bulk order for this lab grade tester started liao in the Marine Bargain Counter.

Check it out ..
  Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 12:29 AM   #22
monsterz1975
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
What to do as Q3 is always the hardest and has to do alot of juggling acts to make the numbers look good.
Wah lau i given up on Q3 liao , waiting to start new on Q4.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 01:29 AM   #23
wlchew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Wah lau i given up on Q3 liao , waiting to start new on Q4.
I am lucky...my office has his 2nd best Revenue Quarter in 3 years.looking forward to that. I meant year-end see...got good news bo.

I think this year the high-flyer will be from Oil & Gas now $1.81 per litre for UL92,V-Power is 2.02. Time to bulk purchase gasoline liao..got UL89 or not..no money liao.

Oops.I sense of RED-CARD from mod soon.this is a Review session!

Can move this portion of it to "Aroreefer - S11-Kopitiam" thread??
  Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #24
tineng
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

what person with a red wristband?????

anyway, look forward to a bulk purchase....btw, any loban for a lux meter???? don't see many people check the indensity of the lights......
  Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #25
bonjour2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineng
what person with a red wristband?????

anyway, look forward to a bulk purchase....btw, any loban for a lux meter???? don't see many people check the indensity of the lights......

lobang for lux meter? bro , $70 bucks can get one from Sim lim liao, alt, pm me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #26
losmandy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Looks cool and high tech but accuracy wise definately lost out to refractometer.

This so called lab-grade tester converts salinity from conductivty which is less accurate.

Not all electronic tester are accurate but I do agree that it is easier to use compared to a refractometer for glass wearer, however you could always take off your glass and refocus properly. Aiming the refractometer at bright light source will solve the problem.

All floating arm hydrometer are calibrated to a certain temperature so if the water being measure is different temp than what the hydrometer is calibrated for then you will need to do correction for the reading. This will have impact if you compare reading directly.

Nevertheless this is a good alternative from the hydrometer but you just need to aware of the accuracy of +/-2ppt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #27
nim75sg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wei Leong ... That was my initial impression of this digital lab grade tester being not as accurate as the refractometer.

But I was wrong, it was as accurate or rather on par with the refractometer getting the same readings other than it ease of use over the refractometer which is a plus for me.

For the benefit of reefers, here is the background operation behind a "digital" and "analog" salinity tester adopted with the courtesy of JBJlighting.Com


How does the Digi-Lab Grade Tester compare to a refractometer?

1. The Digi-Lab TSS is in the family of conductivity meters, which are recognized as the most accurate, precise, and reliable measurement methods used in the scientific industry. Ease of use, automatic conversions, and multi-parameter testing in a single tester are the primary benefits.

a. How it Works: Salt exists as sodium and chlorine ions that are positively and negatively charged moving freely in water. Once an electrical field is present, positively charged ions move toward a negatively charged electrode, and negatively charge ions move towards a positively charged electrode to obtain a reading.

b. Application: Simply dip the probe into the aquarium and press a button to receive an instant display of temperature (F), salinity (ppt), and temperature compensated specific gravity (eg.1.024)

2. Refractometer Measures the salt level by a Refractive Index.
a. How it Works: A refractometer works on the principle that the speed of light varies depending on the density of the medium that it travels through. Hence, the less dense the medium, the faster light travels. When light passes from a medium of one density to a medium of another density at an angle, the rays of light are refracted and displayed onto a scale on the refractometer.

b. Application: Add a few drops of water onto a prism located on top of the refractometer. Water must cover the entire prism and must be free of air bubbles to obtain accurate results. Turn dial until scale is focused to obtain a reading in the direction of a light source.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #28
bloodlamb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
Wei Leong ... That was my initial impression of this digital lab grade tester being not as accurate as the refractometer.

But I was wrong, it was as accurate or rather on par with the refractometer getting the same readings other than it ease of use over the refractometer which is a plus for me.

For the benefit of reefers, here is the background operation behind a "digital" and "analog" salinity tester adopted with the courtesy of JBJlighting.Com


How does the Digi-Lab Grade Tester compare to a refractometer?

1. The Digi-Lab TSS is in the family of conductivity meters, which are recognized as the most accurate, precise, and reliable measurement methods used in the scientific industry. Ease of use, automatic conversions, and multi-parameter testing in a single tester are the primary benefits.

a. How it Works: Salt exists as sodium and chlorine ions that are positively and negatively charged moving freely in water. Once an electrical field is present, positively charged ions move toward a negatively charged electrode, and negatively charge ions move towards a positively charged electrode to obtain a reading.

b. Application: Simply dip the probe into the aquarium and press a button to receive an instant display of temperature (F), salinity (ppt), and temperature compensated specific gravity (eg.1.024)

2. Refractometer Measures the salt level by a Refractive Index.
a. How it Works: A refractometer works on the principle that the speed of light varies depending on the density of the medium that it travels through. Hence, the less dense the medium, the faster light travels. When light passes from a medium of one density to a medium of another density at an angle, the rays of light are refracted and displayed onto a scale on the refractometer.

b. Application: Add a few drops of water onto a prism located on top of the refractometer. Water must cover the entire prism and must be free of air bubbles to obtain accurate results. Turn dial until scale is focused to obtain a reading in the direction of a light source.
But then sea water consists of alot more than sodium and chloride ions. Very significant amount of Mg/Ca also exists.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #29
bonjour2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlamb
But then sea water consists of alot more than sodium and chloride ions. Very significant amount of Mg/Ca also exists.
bro, we r talking abt sodium and chloride ions in particular with respect to the parameters concerned , and as far as the intended measurements this units are concerned.
Meaningless to bring in the discussions of CA/MG since the tester phase other ions as far as its purpose is concerned. ( this world is full of assumptions) .
Yr qns is tantamount to asking someone who use a refractometer , " but then light itself between sunlight and indoor light contains different spectrum. "
Perhaps it might be fruitful if you post that qns to JBJ Lighting and revert in this forum their answer to you, guess they have the expertise to answer such a profound qns.
Off topic but r u pursuing some courses in Sociology or social science? Cos at least one of my frd who does his Masters in Socio from US question me like how you does here till all jaw drop
A very interesting member in Aro who keep us thinking .Cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #30
PJM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi there,
does this product come with warrenty in local lfs?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)