Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 18-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
nim75sg

Default FasTest & SeaTest Multi Test Kit

After several years of using test kits (both tropical & marine) from different vendors and which frustrated me because of different readings even though the vendors claim to give accurate results.

The only kit that I can trust today is Salifert. But it is damn so complex and regarded by most aquarists as the choice of test kit on the market today for their accuracy.

However, I would like to share my experience with this new multi test kit which I purchased from recently and found out that it is one of the most popular brand chosen by aquarists over Salifert in USA.

Purchased the FasTest Multi Test Kit and the SeaTest Multi Test Kit but provide review only for the FasTest instead of the SeaTest which are similar except for the different water parameters;

FasTest = AM, NO2, NO3, pH
SeaTest = PO4, CA, low NO3

I found both of them to be relatively easy to use and accurate. The tester vial has a wide opening making it very easy to add the powder (reagents) and has a large base which makes it quick difficult to tip over easily unlike others.

The color comparator chips slide right into the tester and the colors are vibrant, which makes reading the test a simple task. Testing times range from about 2 minutes and it is so simple that I consider this to be idiot-proof.

In this FasTest Multi Kit, it contains 20 tests each for pH, AM, NO2, and NO3 with most readings varies:

AM = 0 to 0.8 milligram/l
NO2 = 0 to 10 milligram/l
pH - 7.8 to 8.6
NO3 = 0 to 100 milligram/l and 0 to 1 milligram/l

Instead of using liquid or drips, it use dry powder chemical reagent which bypass any wrong drip counts. Refills are available.

All the reagent has a stamped expiration dates on the reagent foil packets which is a good reminder to avoid using expires test reagents. My understanding is that if they expire, Aquarium Systems do replace them.

Pros
1) Inexpensive and affordable
2) Provide reliable results
3) Easy to compare color results against the color chip comparator

Con
1) Got expiry date of reagent

Here are the pics:
Old 18-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
^tirpleb^

What is the price range like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
After several years of using test kits (both tropical & marine) from different vendors and which frustrated me because of different readings even though the vendors claim to give accurate results.

The only kit that I can trust today is Salifert. But it is damn so complex and regarded by most aquarists as the choice of test kit on the market today for their accuracy.

However, I would like to share my experience with this new multi test kit which I purchased from recently and found out that it is one of the most popular brand chosen by aquarists over Salifert in USA.

Purchased the FasTest Multi Test Kit and the SeaTest Multi Test Kit but provide review only for the FasTest instead of the SeaTest which are similar except for the different water parameters;

FasTest = AM, NO2, NO3, pH
SeaTest = PO4, CA, low NO3

I found both of them to be relatively easy to use and accurate. The tester vial has a wide opening making it very easy to add the powder (reagents) and has a large base which makes it quick difficult to tip over easily unlike others.

The color comparator chips slide right into the tester and the colors are vibrant, which makes reading the test a simple task. Testing times range from about 2 minutes and it is so simple that I consider this to be idiot-proof.

In this FasTest Multi Kit, it contains 20 tests each for pH, AM, NO2, and NO3 with most readings varies:

AM = 0 to 0.8 milligram/l
NO2 = 0 to 10 milligram/l
pH - 7.8 to 8.6
NO3 = 0 to 100 milligram/l and 0 to 1 milligram/l

Instead of using liquid or drips, it use dry powder chemical reagent which bypass any wrong drip counts. Refills are available.

All the reagent has a stamped expiration dates on the reagent foil packets which is a good reminder to avoid using expires test reagents. My understanding is that if they expire, Aquarium Systems do replace them.

Pros
1) Inexpensive and affordable
2) Provide reliable results
3) Easy to compare color results against the color chip comparator

Con
1) Got expiry date of reagent

Here are the pics:
Old 19-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
nim75sg

I think Aqua Mart is selling the FasTest but not the SeaTest.

However, I bought mine from Marine Depot and if interested, we can do a bulk order from them and split the FEDEX charges proportionally.
Old 19-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
neokn

Order overseas. Must be damn expensive with the shipping charge.

total cost in Sing should be $70? with shipping
Old 19-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neokn
Order overseas. Must be damn expensive with the shipping charge.

total cost in Sing should be $70? with shipping
No lah .. I bought a total of US$223 of other marine goodies and total shipping charge is only US$50. So roughly pay 25% for shipping.

Cost of FasTest is US$26.95 and plus 25% of US$6.74 (approx) equates to US$33.69 or approx S$55 using $1.65 exchange range.

S$55 is about the price you will pay for a Red Sea Multi Test Kit but here you get the ultimate test kit

Very reasonable, right? ...
Old 19-11-2004, 10:32 PM   #6
cwloo

er .. just some tips over the shipping cost .. if you order from those website that offer free local delivery (aka US), you can apply at singpost for the USPOST thing .. so the vendor will ship to the address in US and singpost will send it back to you .. cheaper
Old 19-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #7
nim75sg

Bro .. Tried that before but the savings is not much and it takes almost 3 to 4 weeks to arrive. Then got no track of the order details.

At least using FEDEX, can track the shipment status and also able to recieve the goods within 3 days.
Old 20-11-2004, 12:16 AM   #8
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
Bro .. Tried that before but the savings is not much and it takes almost 3 to 4 weeks to arrive. Then got no track of the order details.

At least using FEDEX, can track the shipment status and also able to recieve the goods within 3 days.
Wow bro u always order from oversea.
Old 20-11-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
nim75sg

Most of my goodies are ordered from overseas as I find them alot cheaper as compared locally after factoring the shipment cost.

However not all goodies are cheaper overseas and I always check out the locally pricing first before I buy ...
Old 20-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
DaY1

Just wondering does anyone know if Aquamart will replace the regeant if expire? or we got to ship it back to marine depot for the exchange?
I know cases whereby ocassionally some salifert batch is incorrect and is sold locally..when reefer check with salifert on reefcentral due to the incorrect result etc, salifert trys to get their local distributor to send a new batch to the person.