Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 26-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
freak85
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealot View Post
Anything la, if you happy can liaoz.
if you wan citizen to drink coke.. you must make sure.. F&N also become like a singapore tourism place for citizens wannabes to go there for tour....
freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #32
globalcookie
Dragon

Just heard on news.

Johor's reservoir (providing to singapore) reaches new low, 37% level only. Will we face water crisis soon?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #33
hkh
Arofanatic

Think we have more options now than before........Marina Barrage, Newater & Desalination plants........maybe Johor will buy water from us.......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #34
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Just heard on news.

Johor's reservoir (providing to singapore) reaches new low, 37% level only. Will we face water crisis soon?
wad are the chances there are illegal pipes removin water frm the said reservoir by ppl for personal use or sale?
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #35
acedophin
Arofanatic

I don't know what is the big issue on the water. We are surrounded by seawater all round. It's only matter of converting from seawater to freshwater, I know a lot of energy involves which could be partial offset by solar energy.
There were even some water project which involves in tanker going to open sea to convert and transport the fresh water back to mainland. Water level will rise further due to melting ice. Also we should consider cloud seeding, only thing is the sudden change of wind direction which will end up in the sea.

In Malaysia, many metal water pipes are beyond their useful life and not replace, so a lot of leaks/wastage and when you pay peanuts for water, how to change mindset?
acedophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #36
millenium
Senior Dragon

As the chief of ministry of environment, he has at least two much more pressing problems to solve. 1) littering/rubbish and 2) mosquito/dengue to solve. So far I dun see much improvement.

Drought problem is less pressing as we already have have certain means like distilling water from sea water and new water tech to cope.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #37
globalcookie
Dragon

Because we have not reach the need to do water rationing in last 3 decades or so, we dont know how pressing this water issue is. WATER, the basic needs for life! In india, water rationing even sees young woman fighting old woman in her 70s. So, water not pressing issue, what is?

This mosquito issue has existed since pre-industralization (in fact, even since civilisation). Yes people gets dengue and people dies. But it is separate issues. Minister may talk abt mosquito and rubbish, that is part of what he is in charge of. But talking about these doesn't take away the real priority.

Desalination is easy so we think. How much commitment is needed, how long does it take to setup, what are the real reasons why it is not implemented aggressively till now? Why are desalination water used for industrial only till recently (or still) and not much for consumption? Why? There must be reasons why it is not pump into our taps.

The latest desalination, they are talking about setting up on those refinery islands than use fresh water for their cooling facilities.

For this whole water issue, I think the gov is on turbo charged mode than we think. When they built marina barrage, some flooding happened and all e fingers flies at them. But now that water is running low, ppl asked why not this why not that.

I may not like PAP, but there are many things they done right, than wrong.
Old 13-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
millenium
Senior Dragon

Dun waste water campaign can be re intro then, I know last time very effective when people trust the government a lot. Personally I always minimize water usage, so such campaign will have minimal effect on me. And I love the environment a lot.

We r facing water problem with current population yet still planning to increase even more population is a good idea?

Last edited by millenium; 13-04-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 13-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #39
globalcookie
Dragon

The increase in population is a White Paper. Yes it will go ahead in a matter of time and I am very sure they are solving the problem before they open the gates again.

Water problem is very real and we have faced this problem even during Dr M's time. Tho now the M'sian side doesn't threaten us saying they will turned off the tap, but we know the treaty will lapse in a matter of a few decades and the gov is very anxious about making sure we are water sufficient.

The last time we had water rationing was in the early 60s, before most of us were born. We don't know the difficulties or inconveniences. There were a few small rationing in the 80s too. The last time water rationing ideas were brought up was in Jan 2015, during last year's dry spell.
Old 13-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #40
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
The increase in population is a White Paper. Yes it will go ahead in a matter of time and I am very sure they are solving the problem before they open the gates again.

Water problem is very real and we have faced this problem even during Dr M's time. Tho now the M'sian side doesn't threaten us saying they will turned off the tap, but we know the treaty will lapse in a matter of a few decades and the gov is very anxious about making sure we are water sufficient.

The last time we had water rationing was in the early 60s, before most of us were born. We don't know the difficulties or inconveniences. There were a few small rationing in the 80s too. The last time water rationing ideas were brought up was in Jan 2015, during last year's dry spell.
I know about water rationing is for real even though it was from my school textbook. I followeded mass media report when sing n Malaysia were playing politics on water deals. That was why we built facilities to purify water just in case the negotiation did not go our way. And these processes are expensive n energy consuming. If there is a need to ration water, then it should be executed. This solution is not for long term. Perhap it is already on the card. Water will become more and more scarce with time as nature is destroyed, Malaysia will has lesser n lesser clean water as well to even supply themselves. No feasible long term solution in sight after a lot of talking if those high tech water purification are not the ultimate solution.

Last edited by millenium; 13-04-2016 at 04:43 PM.