Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 30-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #21
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
Taken out of my master scripts:

The color of a fish is commonly used for these purpose:

Communication
Identification
Camouflage
Defence
Mimicry

Let me try to answer the Gold = Gold question first...

Pigments: Commonly known as chromatophores

Golds have more of iridophores ( consists of a layer of plates with crystals)

its like a prism...it will show the light scattering effect of a prism...movements and placement of these plates and crystals will create a "multi-directional reflective effect"...which we view as metallic colors...

the composition of xanthophores (yellow color) and leucophores (light scattering effect) with abundance of iridophores will create a gold surface

Reds on the other hand uses the following chromatophores:
melanophores (melanin)
xanthophores (yellow)
erythrophores (red)
cyanophores (blue)

if a red appears yellow it shows the abundance of xanthophores whereas a purplish red will have a higher composition or percentage of cyanophores...hence teh certain shades of reds that we observe

Didnt want to put this out...but it will be able to explain the composition of colors
to understand why gold and reds developed differently, maybe we need to take a look at their natural habitat, environment and natural predator around them?

that being said, i understand it's easier to spot a XB or red in the same waters than a green... is green a higher evolution or a lower one?
Old 30-08-2005, 12:54 AM   #22
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire87
to understand why gold and reds developed differently, maybe we need to take a look at their natural habitat, environment and natural predator around them?

that being said, i understand it's easier to spot a XB or red in the same waters than a green... is green a higher evolution or a lower one?
nope golds are also the same...most golds will not cross in the river...so that its predators will not be able to easily spot them...only certain areas of the river system where u could see one or two of them which is brightly colored...

higher or lower evolution have no bearing here

nami green's color doesn't seem very plain to me...they are still green...but have different set of patterns --> which are attractive in their own ways

u have already mentioned natural habitat, environment and predators --> camouflage or dominance?...its actually up to the red itself...sometimes its becauses of the contents of the water as we discussed...sometimes its about being the king of the pack...u got to be differnt to lead...

Old 30-08-2005, 01:15 AM   #23
Jack
Dragon

From wat i can gather from the postings in this thread, it seems to me that all red aros, for this matter, will develope into red provided the environment is correct and they're sexually matured and the development has nothing to do with their genes at all. Am I correct to say this?
Old 30-08-2005, 01:21 AM   #24
Jack
Dragon

Quote:

Does anyone think there is any link between the geographical distribution of the different 'color' asian aros and their colorations?
Old 30-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #25
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
errr i think we already have the answer as to why caucasians are white, indians are black. it's something to do with UV light and so... again, it's through evolution. we may all have started off the same colour, just that people evolved over time.

the skin color theory is something like, africans given their climate will need lotsa protection against the Sun, hence their skin color gives them the protection. whereas caucasians have adapted to be white because their climate has less sun, hence their skin evolved to be more receptive to the sun's light, which is essential for survival. I may have phrased in incorrectly, but it's more or less that.

evolution happens for a reason, like bro fong said, it's always for survival.

so why is a red Red?
this is not the complete picture .... pigmentation is only part of the full picture .... put it this way, between the four defined races of caucasians, mongoloids, polynesians and afrikaans, the make up is already different but this is not something we want to go into here .... perhaps when we have an opportunity to sit over coffee, then we can talk abt this topic in depth
Old 30-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #26
davefish

It can be for camoflague. Fish sees red as a dark colour.

Old 30-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #27
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
From wat i can gather from the postings in this thread, it seems to me that all red aros, for this matter, will develope into red provided the environment is correct and they're sexually matured and the development has nothing to do with their genes at all. Am I correct to say this?
I would rather prefer to say that Red is their ultimate color as they attain a certain pattern or arrangements of the chromatophores...and all this arrangements can only be internally stimulated via neurological glands to improve the composition...

with a environment change, hormones or rather neurological traits are transmitted from the brain to react to the change, hence the camouflage purpose of colors

sexually matured, u will also need a particular level to achieve, just like humans, to have tat level of testorones at a certain age will prompt a different growth behavior or outlook of the person...they will tend to look out for attraction, go for the opposite sex and gets excited at the mere sight of a half cup, all this in the age of puberty

reds are all similar in my concept, its just how gd their ratios of the chromatophores...this will determine whether they are early developers or late developers...

However for some reds there may be an self defficiency in certain set of chromatophores, maybe a shortage of melanophores and an over abundnace of the xanthophores, hence u may experienced a "Yellow red" for a few years until the food or the environment are adjusted to make it beneficial for the required chromatophores to be stimulated within

This is the reason why sometimes sellers always kpkb why the red never turn red at his place but once sold, the red turn red at the buyer place within 3 mths...most of it becos the change of environment takes away the stress element and allow the other colors to cover back and change the ratio of the colors

Old 30-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #28
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Does anyone think there is any link between the geographical distribution of the different 'color' asian aros and their colorations?
there is a difference in the colors for diff segments of the river system, persay the more rapid flows of river section, colors will be diff from those that in the slow moving river

Areas where high levels of tanins will also produce better colors IMO compared to regions of vast changing water parameters

Old 30-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #29
fong
Dragon

The question is when or why red turn red... but when and why cannot be used by "or" cause they are two different entity. Maybe the question should be "when and why red turn red" instead.

I have yet heard the answers why red turn red? Why dont red turn green or gold in kalimantan? If I were a red aro, I would have been green instead of red. Guess this is what myself and Fire is trying is get out of this brain teaser. Like the african has a darker skin tone to adapt to their enviroment. So what has red color got to evolution and adaptation? Have yet to hear my answers to this teaser yet.

Quote:
errr i think we already have the answer as to why caucasians are white, indians are black. it's something to do with UV light and so... again, it's through evolution. we may all have started off the same colour, just that people evolved over time.

the skin color theory is something like, africans given their climate will need lotsa protection against the Sun, hence their skin color gives them the protection. whereas caucasians have adapted to be white because their climate has less sun, hence their skin evolved to be more receptive to the sun's light, which is essential for survival. I may have phrased in incorrectly, but it's more or less that.

evolution happens for a reason, like bro fong said, it's always for survival.

so why is a red Red?
Old 30-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #30
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong
The question is when or why red turn red... but when and why cannot be used by "or" cause they are two different entity. Maybe the question should be "when and why red turn red" instead.

I have yet heard the answers why red turn red? Why dont red turn green or gold in kalimantan? If I were a red aro, I would have been green instead of red. Guess this is what myself and Fire is trying is get out of this brain teaser. Like the african has a darker skin tone to adapt to their enviroment. So what has red color got to evolution and adaptation? Have yet to hear my answers to this teaser yet.
when and why are not alternative usage but its not correct to say " or " cannot be used ... the question could be one of " when " or " why " so tat when one part is being answered is still an answer to the question itself .... if the question is asked of " when " and " why " ... then when the answer is to each, it only answers half the question ...

why dun red turn green in kalimantan is the same as why dun the dutch in south africa turn black or why dun the afrikaans in singapore turn brown ...