Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 29-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
O sHiT iTs DiRt

Default violet goby feeding movie.

unfortunately i havent had much success with them. beautiful mysterious goby species. heres a clip of them feeding. the article tries to demyth misconception abt violet gobies being fishes that swallows smaller fishes often, and the keeper is keeping them with sailfin mollies. any keepers who are currently keeping big specimens, pls share

http://www.fishtanksandponds.com/mov...goby_movie.htm
Old 29-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #2
Dovii

There are two types- one is from asia- indonesia, thailand I think, the other is South American- columbia.
They look alike- very much like the ecological equivalent developement in green tree pythons and green tree boas because they share the same habits and lifestyle.

I think violent goby is the south american type? Not sure. South american type more bluish purple shine on the body, asia type more alien looking - got albino one also- sunday market selling $20 each for albino one.

I think they are brakish water fish.
But I tried brackish water with sand, they burried themselves, but die after a while. So I try the standard south america black water type- OK leh, seems to do well.
I also not sure now- I thought brackish water = salt in water = high PH = not soft water = not black water?
They like blood worm more than fish, mine at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O sHiT iTs DiRt
unfortunately i havent had much success with them. beautiful mysterious goby species. heres a clip of them feeding. the article tries to demyth misconception abt violet gobies being fishes that swallows smaller fishes often, and the keeper is keeping them with sailfin mollies. any keepers who are currently keeping big specimens, pls share

Old 29-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
jimtan75

Quote:

nice feeding movie, all the while i thought they are carnivore.
thanks for your sharing.
Old 29-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #4
O sHiT iTs DiRt

jason, u got the aquarium atlas 2300 book? there is another goby species, goboides sp., that one listed under amazon habitat, max length 1m (!), very beautiful, is that one the south american one u talking about? but the ones at ur shop dont look like it leh! or could it be that the patterns will develop as they mature? look at the goby species under Go127 and Go301, almost similar but one is distributed in indo, one amazon, the physical appearance very very similar, but i like the 1m one!
Old 29-09-2004, 06:02 PM   #5
O sHiT iTs DiRt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtan75
nice feeding movie, all the while i thought they are carnivore.
thanks for your sharing.
no prob. hmm..they might be, just that i find they are very shy fishes, maybe the swallowing and massacre starts in the dark and the writer of this article never noticed?!
Old 29-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
TROY041004
Senior Dragon

Quote:

nice movie clip and info...thanks
TROY041004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
Dovii

Got two types in South america- one is violet goby, the other is marbled goby (not the sleeper marbled goby we eat). The marbled one grows ro 1 meter.

If I could get my hands on this one, it would be here.

The last 10 I got was the violet goby from SA also. But only 20 cm max.
Old 29-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #8
O sHiT iTs DiRt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovii
Got two types in South america- one is violet goby, the other is marbled goby (not the sleeper marbled goby we eat). The marbled one grows ro 1 meter.

If I could get my hands on this one, it would be here.

The last 10 I got was the violet goby from SA also. But only 20 cm max.
yes the marbled one! no exact name listed except gpboides sp. but the markings on it are amazing. imagine a 1 meter python like fish in ur tank...u got any pics? i no scanner
Old 30-09-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
amiidae

Quote:

That's a real eye opener Dirt. thks for the input !!

hmm.... maybe my electric eel is part vegetarian..... must try to spot chk when the light is out !!!

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 11:28 PM   #10
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Nice input.. Thanks for sharing.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote