Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 14-11-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Hamad

Default How to prevent Dropsy from Goldfish?

It is one of the worst diseases Goldfish can get and it's quite common - usually I go to the LFS and find many in tanks infected by Dropsy.

I had three fish die from it this year, I'm pretty sure I got them infected. But how can I prevent the rest of the fish from having it? Is there a way?
Old 14-11-2002, 11:24 AM   #2
yeoyeoluohan

keep ur water clean
Old 14-11-2002, 11:26 AM   #3
Bency

In some fish if u notice the symptoms early on u may be able to treat with internal med
Old 14-11-2002, 12:52 PM   #4
zac08

Dropsy very hard to cure...can only try to prevent...

To prevent, you gotta keep your water in tip top condition.... demaning change water regularly and try to keep the temperature down... As the temp increases, goldfishes will loses their ability to protect themselves from most diseases... Coz their coldwater fishes, not tropical ones...

Also ensure that your biological filter is working properly and is able to take the load well.... Goldfishes are famed for lotsa shit...
Old 14-11-2002, 11:53 PM   #5
Hamad

Right now I keep my water at 0 Ammonia and Nitrite and 5 Nitrate - I change 20-40% weekly. But I'm still very worried and scared my fish will catch it again.
Old 17-11-2002, 01:50 AM   #6
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamad
Right now I keep my water at 0 Ammonia and Nitrite and 5 Nitrate - I change 20-40% weekly. But I'm still very worried and scared my fish will catch it again.
Weekly water change of 20-40% is not enough. Change 80% each time.

There is no cure for dropsy but it can be prevented. Dropy is not a virus or protozoan disease but due to internal damaged of organ (kidney) so it is not contagious.

Goldfish subjected to 5 ppm of nitrite for more than 6 months will not live more that a year. They will develop dropy problem, usually triggered by a sudden temperature change.

So prevention is better than cure.
Old 17-11-2002, 11:44 PM   #7
frankloh
Arofanatic

I think dropsy is a disease not internal organ failure. I myself manage to cure my GF down with dropsy a couple of times.
Dunno the medicine's name but its in powder form and the instructions is to mixed it into the water. What I do is, I mix into a very concentrated level and spray it direct on their scales.

But I am sure our friend Hamad's fish tank is already "cycled".
So rightfully there shouldnt be nitrite in the first place. But he still experience dropsy.

Actually how much water to change really depends on individuals.
If one did not overcrowd his tanks and with enough plants, once weekly water change of 20% is sufficient.

The best way is still use a nitrate tester and take down the reading before each water change so that in future you will know when to change water at which day.

Even if your water contains no nitrate, you must also change water as the minerals in the water would have been exhaust. New water with new minerals are needed for healthy fish.

Last edited by frankloh; 17-11-2002 at 11:48 PM.
frankloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2002, 12:34 AM   #8
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by frankloh
I think dropsy is a disease not internal organ failure. I myself manage to cure my GF down with dropsy a couple of times.
Dunno the medicine's name but its in powder form and the instructions is to mixed it into the water. What I do is, I mix into a very concentrated level and spray it direct on their scales.

But I am sure our friend Hamad's fish tank is already "cycled".
So rightfully there shouldnt be nitrite in the first place. But he still experience dropsy.

Actually how much water to change really depends on individuals.
If one did not overcrowd his tanks and with enough plants, once weekly water change of 20% is sufficient.

The best way is still use a nitrate tester and take down the reading before each water change so that in future you will know when to change water at which day.

Even if your water contains no nitrate, you must also change water as the minerals in the water would have been exhaust. New water with new minerals are needed for healthy fish.
If you read through Hamad's thread again, he has no such experience with his fish but was concerned seeing dropsy cases in aquarium shops.

Why dropy is an organ disorder is because it is not contagious. Bacteria disease spread very fast in water.

I agreed with you diligent weekly water change is a must even if the water look perfectly clean. Changing of water is also to replenish depeleted trace elements that has been absorbed by the goldfish.
Old 18-11-2002, 12:43 AM   #9
egstring

have u guys ever experience a layer of foam or bubbles on the surface of the water? wat actually causes tat? i even experience tat 1 or 2 days later after changing water. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Old 18-11-2002, 01:25 AM   #10
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by egstring
have u guys ever experience a layer of foam or bubbles on the surface of the water? wat actually causes tat? i even experience tat 1 or 2 days later after changing water. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Any new fish added recently?

Assuming no new fish had been added, chances is the bubble is from the fish when the new water is not neutralized for chloramines. Is the water smell fishy? Do you use de-chlorinator to neutralize chloramines and which brand?