Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 18-11-2002, 01:35 AM   #11
Xerovix

does it look saliva?

Quote:
Originally posted by egstring
have u guys ever experience a layer of foam or bubbles on the surface of the water? wat actually causes tat? i even experience tat 1 or 2 days later after changing water. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Old 18-11-2002, 08:21 PM   #12
egstring

sort of look like saliva, cos sometimes i dun use dechlorinator. Maybe i will start to use. ANy good brand of dechlorinator to recommend? wat other factors contributes to the foam ??
Old 18-11-2002, 10:53 PM   #13
frankloh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by goldfishfever

If you read through Hamad's thread again, he has no such experience with his fish but was concerned seeing dropsy cases in aquarium shops.

Why dropy is an organ disorder is because it is not contagious. Bacteria disease spread very fast in water.

I agreed with you diligent weekly water change is a must even if the water look perfectly clean. Changing of water is also to replenish depeleted trace elements that has been absorbed by the goldfish.

If u happen to read it as careful as me, you will realise that he actually had 3 fish die of dropsy in a year.

Bacteria spread fast because some fish have lower defence system. If u continue keeping the infected fish with the rest, am sure some of them will get dropsy too.

Last time I had alot of bettas died of dropsy too due to not changing water often enough.

Unless what u say is true, then I am very suay cos most of my fish die of organ disorder....haha

If u surf the net, you will realise quite a number of owner actually manage to cure their fish of dropsy.
frankloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2002, 12:17 AM   #14
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by frankloh

If u happen to read it as careful as me, you will realise that he actually had 3 fish die of dropsy in a year.

Bacteria spread fast because some fish have lower defence system. If u continue keeping the infected fish with the rest, am sure some of them will get dropsy too.

Last time I had alot of bettas died of dropsy too due to not changing water often enough.

Unless what u say is true, then I am very suay cos most of my fish die of organ disorder....haha

If u surf the net, you will realise quite a number of owner actually manage to cure their fish of dropsy.
If the water quality is not maintained, all the fish in the tank will be subjected to ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Some may get it later because they were the new addition. Thus, it is no surprise a number of the fishes got dropsy. Take note, the recent purchase will be spared of dropsy because they are new and still strong. If dropsy is contagious, the new fish should be no exception.

I have seen Betta having dropsy but not too sure what were the causes as my experience with them is short. One thing for sure the causes can be different from goldfish as Betttas are air breather. In other word, ammonia and nitrite intoxication is less severe as Bettas don't get the oxygen from the water. Thus, Betta can live in stagnant water.

If any one has a sure fix for dropsy, I am most happy to learn. Most accidental cure usually recur and the fish will die. A number of authors have given a honest comment that there is no cure for dropsy.

Even since I learned to control ammonia and nitrite, dropsy is one problem I have not seen for a long long time.
Old 19-11-2002, 07:59 PM   #15
egstring

to my knowledge, heard that dropsy is dealy and there's no cure.........
Old 19-11-2002, 09:43 PM   #16
frankloh
Arofanatic

http://www.koivet.com

Check out this site. Thou success rate is low it doesnt mean there's no cure. As long as your fish continues to eat, the success rate is quite good.

Well if my GF were to down with it, I defintely will try to cure it, maybe some people will choose to put it to sleep since you already mention that thats no cure at all

Btw dropsy in goldfish and bettas arent they suppose to be from the same strain of bacterial??? Nitrite poisioning affect fish thru osmosis and even if betta breathe from the top, osmosis still occur. Doesnt mean that they didnt drink the toxic water....keke

And if you say dropsy is organ disorder why did most expert recommend anti-bacterial medication?
Its the bacterial that attacked the organ thats why!

And Hamad when your fish got down with dropsy, did u do a water test?.......0 nitrite and ammonia?
frankloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2002, 10:49 PM   #17
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by frankloh
http://www.koivet.com

Check out this site. Thou success rate is low it doesnt mean there's no cure. As long as your fish continues to eat, the success rate is quite good.

Well if my GF were to down with it, I defintely will try to cure it, maybe some people will choose to put it to sleep since you already mention that thats no cure at all

Btw dropsy in goldfish and bettas arent they suppose to be from the same strain of bacterial??? Nitrite poisioning affect fish thru osmosis and even if betta breathe from the top, osmosis still occur. Doesnt mean that they didnt drink the toxic water....keke

And if you say dropsy is organ disorder why did most expert recommend anti-bacterial medication?
Its the bacterial that attacked the organ thats why!

And Hamad when your fish got down with dropsy, did u do a water test?.......0 nitrite and ammonia?
Nitrite entered the fish through the gills and affect the fish ability to breath. Goldfish subjected to nitrite poisoning has pale gill plates. So this is different from Bettas.

As I have said, there are some experts who frankly tell you there is no cure for dropsy. Those who don't will prescribed method of curing but does it works. The same goes for the shelves of medication in our LFS that offer cure for dropsy and I had tried most of it and none works. So how much truth to some of what these experts said may not be right at all times.

To prove the point, what is the water condition of your tank, ammonia and nitrite zero? If your water condition has zero ammonia and nitrite, do you still have dropsy problem.

Hamad when did you learn to control ammonia and nitrite?
Old 19-11-2002, 11:04 PM   #18
goldfishfever

Even Dr. Johnson said the chance of a cure for dropsy is low. If the MAIN cause of dropsy is bacteria, there should be a good chance for a cure with anti-biotics injection. The problem is, dropsy is an organ disorder and bacteria infection is a secondary problem. See the point.
Old 19-11-2002, 11:15 PM   #19
egstring

aiyah brothers.......
wat ever it is, can cure or cannot cure, dun give a damn lah.
if suay suay kenna, just try to cure.
if the fish cant be cured and died, at least we try.
the main point is that we just have to try our best to keep our water clean. AM i right?

dun argue liao lah......PEACE!
Old 19-11-2002, 11:35 PM   #20
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by egstring
aiyah brothers.......
wat ever it is, can cure or cannot cure, dun give a damn lah.
if suay suay kenna, just try to cure.
if the fish cant be cured and died, at least we try.
the main point is that we just have to try our best to keep our water clean. AM i right?

dun argue liao lah......PEACE!
Egstring bro don't get it wrong. This is a healthy discussion. Through this I hope people will know the cause of dropsy and prevent it from happening. It is always the case, suay suay the best and favourite one always kana dropsy and cause us heart ache %&^%#$@#.....