Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 30-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #51
rebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyi86 View Post
I have no idea what u read or how much u dig into it as for making mistakes. maybe you can highlight to me so as i wont make the mistake again.

I have made my point and those who have read the thread have their own mind and can decide for themselves. I dun think i have that much an influence.
Hengyi, discus are especially vulnerable to illness whenever they are stressed. I believe for your case, the discus may indeed have some form of internal parasite in the first place but due to the transfer to your home they were stressed and succumbed to the illness.

Discus in general are hardy fishes and can overcome their illness provided they are given good water quality and made to feel secure. Could you have failed to achieve one of these conditions?

From your nick, i believe you are still very young, take this as a learning experience and give the seller the benefit of doubt. No point feeling sore and sorry just over a small sum of money or a few fishes. All these can be earned back. These learning experience makes the hobby all the more interesting for all of us.
Old 30-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #52
jasonchua1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus View Post
Hengyi, discus are especially vulnerable to illness whenever they are stressed. I believe for your case, the discus may indeed have some form of internal parasite in the first place but due to the transfer to your home they were stressed and succumbed to the illness.

Discus in general are hardy fishes and can overcome their illness provided they are given good water quality and made to feel secure. Could you have failed to achieve one of these conditions?

From your nick, i believe you are still very young, take this as a learning experience and give the seller the benefit of doubt. No point feeling sore and sorry just over a small sum of money or a few fishes. All these can be earned back. These learning experience makes the hobby all the more interesting for all of us.
Thanks bro for your understanding and words of fairness
Old 30-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #53
jasonchua1982

Quote:
I have no idea what u read or how much u dig into it as for making mistakes. maybe you can highlight to me so as i wont make the mistake again.

I have made my point and those who have read the thread have their own mind and can decide for themselves. I dun think i have that much an influence.
Sure...since you want me to elaborate...so here it goes.....pls take it with an open mind.

lets start off with this picture that you posted

From the pic, IMO, the fish looks ok...but just that fin is clamped....fin clamped could be due to stress caused by shifting of environment....and stress could cause the fish to succumb to internal parasite prob as well (when previously they are healthy)....so what could have caused the new Discus to be so stressed....even your turq are showing their stress bar.....

so lets take a closer look at this pic....look at the left hand side of the pic (just beside the albino discus)....what do u see....OMG....its an IT !!! You actually throw your new Albino Discus Juv into a tank with carnivorous fish? so I think this is mistake no 1, even your "lao jiao" turq are showing stress when place with the IT, whats more for the new discus?

Maybe not too clear....lets look at your previous thread to see the original state of the tank before the new discus came in....
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...497&highlight=

In this thread, I believe you are selling off all your turqs but no takers....but not important....lets look at the video that you post.....

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I am seeing not just IT (more than 1 IT) you put in there, there are earth eaters and soon hocks as well....and the tank looks crowded....now you are throwing in more fishes...also, not all the turqs are as healthy as what you described....one is in bad shape....whole piece is black....another one has darker body as well....for all I know, they could be sick too....also you had the dark turq way before you got the new discus, dun blame the new discus for causing your fishes to be infected....

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...239&highlight=
From this thread, seems like you are having internal parasite prob not too long ago, so your Discus may have been cured or still have the parasite in them but they are healthy (or maybe they are not).....so like what bro Airex or leopard say....they have the bug in them which they are immuned, but weaker fish that comes along are infected by them....

Anw why does your tank contains so much white stain? Do you wash them regularly?

Some other interesting threads that I found, you guys can read yourselves

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...351&highlight=
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...734&highlight=

Looking through your past threads, I realised you have been actively buying and selling different variety of fishes (often within a short period of time)....but I only read till Aug 2010, I have no time to read the rest...which is why I advise you not to buy too many fishes if you don't have that many tanks, constantly shifting the fish around is bad for them...and what do you do when your fishes are sick? Dump them into a pail?

Quote:
yea. i never seperate. the healthy ones eating happily.Must seperate? no extra tank... is putting them in a pail ok?
Old 30-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #54
rebus

Hengyi, after looking at your tank, i can only say that it is really unsuitable for discus.

Firstly, putting discus with large fishes like Tigers is really a bad move. The poor discus will be stressed like hell, even a perfectly healthy discus will fall sick.

Secondly, your tank looks overcrowded making it difficult to maintain ideal water conditions to settle new discus.

Thirdly, you mentioned that you putting new discus with old ones may result in the spread of parasites both ways. Certainly a very bad move.

Lastly, with so much air bubbles and bright lights, your discus will feel extremely stressed out.

If you want to keep discus, i suggest you read up more about the proper requirements and decide if you have the time and tanks to meet it's demand.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #55
hengyi86

those were last time.... u see the current pics any big ITs around? -.-
as for the stress bar is i just on the lights. thus the stress bars coming out.

Didnt expect to get sick discus from u as i dont quartine my fishs. that i have learnt.

White stains from medication. some even clouds your water. Not metro tablets. its from Ocean Free Discus medication. Powder form

Already made it very clear. MY Turqs are healthy and still eating. Fine as they are. but the 5 pieces i got from u up lorry.

Last edited by hengyi86; 30-01-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #56
hengyi86

wanna clear the doubt of the 3 discus i was selling in the past. just started my 1st purchase got them from another seller online. offered very cheaply for them, didnt even noe they were sick even when the mod points it out. so u were saying? now is the discus that U are selling. Sick ones.

u wanna compare them to know mr csi? i welcome you to come view my house before u think u have a clear pic of whats going on. ha...

My point is very simple. The 3 suppose to be healthy discus are sick as well as they are in the same tank as the 2 FOC which i got from you. Thus infected. You claim you do not know etc etc.

Than you dig up my old threads for some reason trying to prove the discus were sick becos of me etc. From my past experience, the turqs discus that i still have with me are no longer with the ITs but living with a GATF 5inchs. doing well or not? can come for viewing if you are interested. Yes a GATF. even more aggressive than IT i would think. Dont have to do any seraching. Just come my house for viewing if you think they are not suitable and my discus getting uncomfrotable.

Last edited by hengyi86; 30-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #57
hengyi86

Quote:
Hengyi, after looking at your tank, i can only say that it is really unsuitable for discus.

Firstly, putting discus with large fishes like Tigers is really a bad move. The poor discus will be stressed like hell, even a perfectly healthy discus will fall sick.

Secondly, your tank looks overcrowded making it difficult to maintain ideal water conditions to settle new discus.

Thirdly, you mentioned that you putting new discus with old ones may result in the spread of parasites both ways. Certainly a very bad move.

Lastly, with so much air bubbles and bright lights, your discus will feel extremely stressed out.

If you want to keep discus, i suggest you read up more about the proper requirements and decide if you have the time and tanks to meet it's demand.
Thanks for your concern,Discus no longer with the bigger ITs but with the same size GATF.
Currently not so overcroweded as i have reduced the lifestock of both tanks.
understand i must quartine the fishs. Learnt my lesson lucky my turqs discus are still doing well
As for air bubbles i have only 1 sponge filter now. doing 50% wc every 2days as they are not sick.
Agreed the lights are abit bright but after a few mins they get used to it.

Just a Pic of my set up just taken a few mins.

I belive they should be healthy enough for Discus to do well (if they are not sick). Any thing i should take note do let me know.Since its jan 2011 and not Aug 2010
Dont have to do CSI. Come my house for viewing best

Last edited by hengyi86; 30-01-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #58
hengyi86

Quote:

Thanks for concern. Seller decided to refund me full amount. i have declined. Not just $$ lah... is me feeling unhappy about it. Will take it as a learning lesson. I do know i have to do quartine and go to buyer's house to check if they are eating and the condition they are in.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #59
jasonchua1982

Ok whatever, if thats wat you think, then so be it....anyone can see that the setup previously when you put the new discus in is totally different from the current setup you have now....coral rings missing....air stone missing....IT missing !! I thought u used to have 7 or 8 turqs? What happen to them now? How come only left 5? maybe ur turq are used to having the monster fish around....but have u spare a thought for the new fishes, albino breed? The way u treat them, put them in a pail with only airstone and tyring different kind of medicine....and now wan to push blame again....haizz....

Ok I have said what I want to said, the rest is for the community to judge what they wish to believe....if u keep thinking that you are right, then pls continue doing so, its your life
Old 30-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #60
Audiotom
Dragon

Quote:
Thanks for concern. Seller decided to refund me full amount. i have declined. Not just $$ lah... is me feeling unhappy about it. Will take it as a learning lesson. I do know i have to do quartine and go to buyer's house to check if they are eating and the condition they are in.
IMO since seller offers a "full refund" you can take it as you felt hard done by him selling "sick fishes" without you knowing it.
Its your decision and we respect it.
I can understand the frustration cos I've (like many other bros) been through it before too.

Theres nothing to quench your unhappiness over the whole episode unless if you decide to let go of the baggage that is holding you back and move on from here. Life is your greatest teacher and you had gained more knowledge about proper discus selection, care and maintenance, etc. Practice what is discussed here and you would move up another level and can advise other people in return.

Cheers.
Audiotom is offline   Reply With Quote