Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Shrimppaste

Default Wild Discus Help

Hi Guys,

I bought 5 Wild Discus from C328 as I keep hearing that the minimum is that they need to be in a group of 5.

So the question is, how do I make sure the smaller fish gets to eat as there are two dominant ones that pecks and chase after the smaller ones whenever they want to eat. And now, after feeding, I would see that the dominant fishes would have a full stomach while the smaller ones would still look hungry.

Is it Okay if I place a transparent divider in the tank? Would having the divider means it breaks the school thingy? Would the isolated fish not feel secure?

Please help. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Few choices for you:
- throw more more food so every pieces can get
Or
- buy more discus to desperse the fight
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Ya, throw more food or feed multiple times. Spread the food all over and not just one spot.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Shrimppaste

I tried but my tank is too small so it's really no use cause they can easily get to each other fast. So I have gone ahead and bought a transparent divider instead Hope it works!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Jitticus
Dragon

That's how it goes with all cichlids. There will always be a pecking order and the smallest ones will be bullied... you need to keep the small one there to be the target of their aggression.
Jitticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Some put in runts to be the 'target'. But some runts turn out to be the one showing who's boss
Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Shrimppaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitticus View Post
That's how it goes with all cichlids. There will always be a pecking order and the smallest ones will be bullied... you need to keep the small one there to be the target of their aggression.
Hahah! The thing is they are too expensive to be left to become the lowest in the pecking order. And I think it's too cruel.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Domestic runts or culls are usually the choice.
But of course space and adding other tankmates to spread aggression always better option.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimppaste View Post
I tried but my tank is too small so it's really no use cause they can easily get to each other fast. So I have gone ahead and bought a transparent divider instead Hope it works!
If you divide the smaller ones, another bully will surface.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimppaste View Post
Hahah! The thing is they are too expensive to be left to become the lowest in the pecking order. And I think it's too cruel.
it's not about leaving it to be the lowest in the pecking order.
as the name suggests, it's a pecking order for a reason, the alpha is definitely at the top.
u isolate this piece, the next smallest/ weakest piece will take it's place and become the target of the alpha. and this time, it is gona get worse, cos now got lesser fish to distribute the aggression.
u want no fish to be at the bottom? isolate all of them and groom them individually. otherwise there will always be a pecking order.
as long as it still gets to eat, no major injuries etc, u can just leave it as it is.
increase feeding frequency or add in other dither fishes. arrange your decoration so it allows the bullied to break the line of sight from the alpha.

how big is your tank for these 5 discus by the way???
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote