Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 22-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
wei
Dragon

hi all, have a question here.

I have a small tank(around 1 foot). I am topping up a small bottle of distilled water every 5-7days to top up the tank(adding a bit of mineral plus).

I am using the simple JBL 5in1 test strip and based on the colour chart the readings are:
PH: around 6.4
KH: 1-3
GH: >14
NO 2/3 are ok.

Tank been around for couple of months, with some CRS inside. Okay so far.

Weeks back, the GH is not that high. Could adding too frequently of the mineral plus solution be the cause of the current high GH? because read on the label on the mineral plus bottle it says that GH value will increse.

Should i stop adding mineral plus with each distilled water top up till the GH go down and would it go down in this case?
wei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei View Post
hi all, have a question here.

I have a small tank(around 1 foot). I am topping up a small bottle of distilled water every 5-7days to top up the tank(adding a bit of mineral plus).

I am using the simple JBL 5in1 test strip and based on the colour chart the readings are:
PH: around 6.4
KH: 1-3
GH: >14
NO 2/3 are ok.

Tank been around for couple of months, with some CRS inside. Okay so far.

Weeks back, the GH is not that high. Could adding too frequently of the mineral plus solution be the cause of the current high GH? because read on the label on the mineral plus bottle it says that GH value will increse.

Should i stop adding mineral plus with each distilled water top up till the GH go down and would it go down in this case?

Should stop your mineral plus keep adding it will super way high i m surprise your crs can take it
Old 22-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
wei
Dragon

Thanks Avex for your inputs.

I suppose doing partial water change with distilled water will bring it down?
Old 22-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
avex30

Quote:
Thanks Avex for your inputs.

I suppose doing partial water change with distilled water will bring it down?
yupz will bring it down slowly i guess don't do too harsh of a water change let your crs get use to the lowering bit slowly.
Old 22-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
cheetf
Dragon

Are you using a fan? That contributes to the problem as well. It evaporates the water leaving the soilds behind.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
wei
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
yupz will bring it down slowly i guess don't do too harsh of a water change let your crs get use to the lowering bit slowly.
ok understood. Thanks for reminding. I was thinking since distilled water has no properties i can do a bigger portion of WC, neglecting the fact that it will 'dilute/alter' the GH, causing an adverse effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
Are you using a fan? That contributes to the problem as well. It evaporates the water leaving the soilds behind.
Hi Cheetf, saw your re-scape for the nano tank is much nicer than the initial one.

My tank is in the office, daytime is around 25, night time should be around 26-27 after aircon shut down. No fan used.
Old 22-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:

Hi Cheetf, saw your re-scape for the nano tank is much nicer than the initial one.

My tank is in the office, daytime is around 25, night time should be around 26-27 after aircon shut down. No fan used.
Thanks, for the tonina belems I believe it needs soft water, since I use a fan I cannot afford to put any stones inside. I have yet to find any interesting hardscape that I can put into the cube tank.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
Jianyuan
Arofanatic

Ive got those alkaline hydrogen water machine at home, isit suitable for using to top up?
Jianyuan is offline   Reply With Quote